Odd backyard finds

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Related to: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/strange-shroom.161703/

Speaking of strange 'shrooms, is this one:

upload_2019-7-23_16-8-32.png
The longest dimension is about 6" to 8". It was that color at about noon. Did not see it earlier.

Back story:
Sunday afternoon it was very hot and muggy, and I popped off a groundhog about 100' from the house. I used to be particular about disposal but have found that nature is pretty efficient. So, unless it is close or I feel like going for a walk, I just leave it. If you doubt my aim, I do have pictures. Anyway, this is about 5 to 6 ft from the carrion. It is much larger than any "fur ball" (e.g., from owls) that I have seen. I am not sure what it is. Does have a bad odor. No large mammals (e.g., bears) in the area that I know of. Coyote are the largest.

The real reason to post is this morning I saw a large bird visiting the carrion. Oh, just a turkey vulture, I thought. Then I saw come color and it flew to the East edge of that field (about 400' away):

Capture.PNG
I have seen an adolescent eagle (very hard to differentiate at that age) and a golden eagle, but this is a first for my yard. It stayed in that tree -- a dead ash tree -- for quite awhile. Unfortunately, my telephoto lens is not great and my hands are not steady anymore.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That is really cool and thanks for sharing those pictures. Mushrooms it seems just happen. One day nothing and the next day a giant shroom. Go figure. :)

Ron

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I to shot a ground hog in the backyard a week or so ago, but didn't take it back to the woods until the next day. When I picked it up there was one of those under it. Don't know what they're called never seen them before.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I to shot a ground hog in the backyard a week or so ago, but didn't take it back to the woods until the next day. When I picked it up there was one of those under it. Don't know what they're called never seen them before.
Same here. My first impression was some sort of skat (based on skatole smell). But it is not pig or bovine. And no other large mammals in the area -- that I know of.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Immature Balds are solid and grow into their whites after their first molt. Does look like a scat and from size could be bear. Deer and moose leave pills like goats and cats usually cover theirs but not always. 6-8" is not a small animal. Don't usually see boar scat as they tend to drop it while rotorooting. Could be a dog barf from eating carrion. Unusual whatever it is.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
My first impression was some sort of skat (based on skatole smell)
Does look like a scat and from size could be bear.
Not scat, or at least like none I've ever seen. And the one I'm talking about was under the ground hog, that was still laying where it dropped. And the one in my yard was gone the next day when it finally stopped raining long enough to mow the grass.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
this would freak me out if I saw it on the ground:

Here's the infamous "dog turd fungus" sometimes called dead man's fungus... they don't look appetizing and are poisonous...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I talked with a local Ohio DNR ranger yesterday and sent her a picture -- a very nice and informative lady.

Ohio tracks "all" of its black bears. None are known to be in the area. If I get a chance, I will cut that thing open today or tomorrow. The carrion is completely gone as of this morning.

As for golden eagles, they are quite rare here. The immature eagle I saw awhile back was probably a young bald eagle.

John