Object movement & rotation detection in electromagnetic field

Brononon

Joined Sep 6, 2020
I need to develop solution for monitoring movement & rotation of components in 3D space (integrated logistical and production workspace). Components have a size of circa 0.5 x 0.25 x 0.25 meters. Both movement as well as rotation of components need to be measured. Workspace where components are being moved & rotated is circa 10 x 10 x 4 meters. Total number of moves and rotations to each component can be high, counted in hundreds. Frequency is high as well, a few movements or rotations per second. Required precision: +/- 3 centimeters (movement), +/- 2 degrees (rotation).

I am thinking about system consisting of two modules:
  • few (3?) dedicated “stations” emitting electromagnetic field with specific signature;
  • a detachable, small magnetic field sensors, which could be attached to each of the components in question.

Rough idea is following:
  • each of the “stations” is located in different corner of the workspace (at least one of them has to be on height different from the other two);
  • a to-be-monitored component is introduced to the workspace; a small magnetic field sensor is attached to the component and “calibrated” at place we can call “position 0”;
  • with each movement/ rotation of the component, the sensor detect change in magnetic field of each of the “stations”; information from the sensor is send via wi-fi to a dedicated computer;
  • based on information received, computer determines position/ rotation of the component in the production workspace.

A few questions to the above:
  • Does the general concept make any sense?
  • What type of magnetometers would be suggested for sensors (e.g. Hall? Reed? Any particular solutions/ models?)?
  • What components could be used for the “stations” emitting electromagnetic field?

Brononon

Joined Sep 6, 2020
I would consider optical imaging, lasers, and MEMS sensors.
I worry that base drift in MEMS would lead to unreliable information about component positioning after certain number of moves. Could that be an issue? Also, wouldn't MEMS/ Laser be more expensive than magnetic field sensor?