Obama or McCain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
SgtWookie,

I do not like this thread one bit.
How come?

Politics and/or religion have been the cause of EVERY war.
And so?

I propose that both topics (religion/politics) be grounds for a thread to be locked/deleted.
Why? As long as we observe the rules. Even combatants do that.

This is a forum for electricity/electronics, not politics/religion. If I wanted either of the latter, there are plenty of places to go.
And this is one of them. It has been set aside for things other than electricity/electronics as long as the rules are followed.

If you want to discuss politics, do so with your neighbors/whomever, but not here. I will take up my politics when I cast my vote, and I won't share it with any of you.
We do discuss politics with whomever. Why not here. It has been set aside for these types of discussions. The heading of this branch says so.

I will take up my politics when I cast my vote, and I won't share it with any of you.
As is your right.

If you want to talk about religion, then go somewhere else and chat all you want. This site is about electronics, not religion.
This is the Off-Topic part of the site. Non-electric/electronic topics can be discussed here under the rules. You would not deny us that right, would you.

And if you don't agree with me, your mental faculties are indeed severely hampered.
I am not the one to judge, but does anyone think my mental faculties are below average?

Ratch

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I think Wookie is right here, politics/religion is a touchy subject for many people. It is bad taste to discuss it in a public environment.

I don't mind a little heat, which is why I felt the need to call "bs" on politics in general and to raise questions about it.

Steve

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
scubasteve_911,

I think Wookie is right here, politics/religion is a touchy subject for many people. It is bad taste to discuss it in a public environment.
No one has to participate in this thread. After finding out what the subject is, anyone is free to opt out with no questions asked.

I don't mind a little heat, which is why I felt the need to call "bs" on politics in general and to raise questions about it.
Which is expressing an opinion about, what else, politics. That's OK, but don't bad mouth it and still engage in debate.

Ratch

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Who are you voting for?
And the nail in the coffin was McCain's scientifically agnostic VP pick. While not religiously agnostic, she's politically agnostic when it comes to global warming, that is, she won't take a firm stance. To me, this is ignoring the scientific community which is inexcusable in the 21st century.
And exactly which scientific community was this? Here's a link to an article about a petition signed by 31,000 actual scientists, of which 9,000 hold PhDs in atmospheric science, climatology, Earth science, environmental science and related disciplines. The petition's signers reject the thesis of anthropogenic global warming.

Here's an excerpt:
"There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate," the petition states. "Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=64734
Google listed 43,000 hits for my search string of "31000 scientists global warming".

So who is ignoring the scientific community?

Jut, your choice of the word "agnostic" in the context of the ongoing debate about global warming is very interesting. There seems to be a religious fervor in quite a few minds.

jut

Joined Aug 25, 2007
A... 9,000 hold PhDs in atmospheric science, climatology, Earth science, environmental science and related disciplines.
"They hand out PhDs like candy" - My college professor of physics who worked at the Fermi Lab.

How many of those PhDs were obtained from Pheonix Online? :D

Do you get a $20 gas card upon submitting the signed petition?

As for the 31,000 people on the petition.... I'm calling total BS on this one. All I see is a bunch of names. The names are not linked to which PhD they obtained. Where is proof or verification that they actually hold a PhD. Could I send in my name, pretend to have a PhD, and get on the list?

They're just trying to cast a cloud of doubt. The only questions that remain for me are... Who's really behind the petition and what's their real motive?

Jut, your choice of the word "agnostic" in the context of the ongoing debate about global warming is very interesting.
I'm using it's literal definition: without knowledge. Palin is without a lot of knowledge.

My original intent was to see what technically minded folks' position was on the presidential nominees. I was naively hoping for people to say I like canidate xyz because of reason a and b -- not big spiels of abortion, global warming...etc, to which I am guilty. So I regret wasting anyone's time when they could have been doing something far more useful: studying the amazing and much more interesting world of circuits.

+1 for locking/deleting this post because it will not likely be beneficial to anyone. If the moderator decides to do so, can they replace my original post with the following quote:

"Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever."
-A. Einstein

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
+1 for locking/deleting this post because it will not likely be beneficial to anyone. If the moderator decides to do so, can they replace my original post with the following quote
As requested by the OP, this thread is locked. It will only be reopened at the request of the OP upon agreement with a moderator. Forward any questions you may have by PM. Thanks.

I think it apt to put your quote at the end:

"Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever."
-A. Einstein
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.