Obama or McCain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jut

Joined Aug 25, 2007
Who are you voting for?

+1 for Obama.

One thing that set me off was the fact that McCain didn't respond to Nature's questions: http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080924/full/455446a.html
McCain also decided not to send a rep to the clean tech forum on the east coast this year. And the nail in the coffin was McCain's scientifically agnostic VP pick. While not religiously agnostic, she's politically agnostic when it comes to global warming, that is, she won't take a firm stance. To me, this is ignoring the scientific community which is inexcusable in the 21st century.

[/rambling]

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's an abbreviated story to help:

Fourth Marriage

A woman, married three times, walked into a bridal shop one day and told the sales clerk that she was looking for a wedding gown for her fourth wedding.

"Of course, madam," replied the sales clerk, "exactly what type and color are you looking for?"

The bride to be said: "A long frilly white dress with a veil."

The sales clerk hesitated a bit, then said, "Please don't take this the wrong way, but gowns of that nature are considered more appropriate for brides who are being married the first time - for those who are a bit more innocent, if you know what I mean? Perhaps ivory or sky blue would be nice ?"

"Well," replied the customer, a little peeved at the clerk's directness, "I can assure you that a white gown would be quite appropriate.

Believe it or not, despite all my marriages, I remain as innocent as a first time bride.

You see, my first husband was so excited about our wedding, he died as we were checking into our hotel...

"What about your third husband?" asked the sales clerk.

"That one was a Democrat," said the woman, "and every night for four years, he just sat on the edge of the bed and told me how good it was going to be, but nothing ever happened......"
The only person Senator Obama has ever helped has been himself. None of the areas he "organized" or represented in Illinois are better off today than before his involvement. Despite his promisses, as President, it will be more of the same for him.

John

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
If you believe in democracy, you will surely be disappointed. These 'candidates' are put there by people in power as people that they may control. The election is an illusion of public choice and control.

If you want to really learn about how we are all slaves, watch Zeitgeist I and II. It will explain, in clear words how we are all getting controlled and doomed to a life of debt and how we can fight back.

Steve

http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

(free to download, because they actually WANT to help, not profit!)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Interesting maps, particularly the lit up areas in the satellite photos. I never knew you could see a Democrat from space.
:D

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Guys this one we should leave up to the ballot box. People can read between the lines,your words,(A SINGLE WORD) can be telling.Like
they say ever thing you put on the net,even quoates can be telling.
Be nice,be careful and vote at the ballot box. It will be easy to be
drawn into this one. BE CAREFUL-BE NICE
LOOSEWIRE - Dave is that you pulling into driveway,is that a lock
in your hand?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
That where opinions count is at the ballot box. Where ever you
reside,and for whatever your issues are. Use your right to vote
with pride and let everyone have the right to make up there own
mind, by knowing the issues.Theres a duty as a voter to learn what
is the best for them. Please be nice and respect every ones right
to express there free opinion at the ballot box,where ever.
LOOSEWIRE

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
jut,

Who are you voting for?

+1 for Obama.
The overwhelming reason to NOT to vote for Obama is that he is an abortionist. That is, he is not bothered if the mother kills her fetus for reasons of convenience. Since we have already killed more than 40 million since Roe vs. Wade, the US should be ashamed of itself and stop doing it.

Ratch

jut

Joined Aug 25, 2007
jut,
The overwhelming reason to NOT to vote for Obama is that he is an abortionist.
Ratch
But can you really not vote for someone just because of their abortion stance and ignore all the other issues at stake? If that is of utter importance and trumps all other issues then do not read the rest of this post.

Think about the energy crisis that is beginning to rear it's head, which will be front and center in the coming decades. Right now we, me, you, and anyone else who uses gasoline, are BANK ROLLING countries who do NOT like us. You might even say that hate us, or you might say they want to kill us. And think about decades from now. Do you imagine world stability improving as energy demands increase dramatically?

To me, it's clear that McCain/Palin are NOT enthusiastic about getting the US off of fossil fuels. It's also clear that we must start making efforts towards energy independence now if you want to stop bank rolling crazed leaders with malignant intentions. And I'm not saying that fossil fuels can be easily, or quickly replaced, but we must start working towards this goal. To me, this trumps the abortion issue.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Remember, gentle people, that we are going to elect a president. A public servant who is subject to the will of Congress and also to the rulings of the Supreme Court.

The man will not have dictatorial powers. His personal beliefs and yours do not have to coincide before he can be an excellent president.

A good social conservative should be utterly against any governmental intrusion into personal choice.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@Beenthere, Actually I agree with you. I personally don't like abortion as an alternative to birth control and self control, but it is none of my business. Neither should how I die be the government's business. I would like the same freedon in that decision as a woman has for her unborn child.

@Jut,
As for alternative energy, it is easy to promise. But what is Obama likely ever to deliver? Being independent of "fossil fuel" in the near future is about as likely as running a car on HHO. As for the financial situation, Obama has almost 2:1 more funding from the financial sector than McCain has. So who will be likely to regulate more effectively?

John

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I do not like this thread one bit.

Politics and/or religion have been the cause of EVERY war.

I refuse to discuss either here.

I propose that both topics (religion/politics) be grounds for a thread to be locked/deleted.

This is a forum for electricity/electronics, not politics/religion. If I wanted either of the latter, there are plenty of places to go.

If you want to discuss politics, do so with your neighbors/whomever, but not here. I will take up my politics when I cast my vote, and I won't share it with any of you.

If you want to talk about religion, then go somewhere else and chat all you want. This site is about electronics, not religion.

And if you don't agree with me, your mental faculties are indeed severely hampered.

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
jut,

But can you really not vote for someone just because of their abortion stance and ignore all the other issues at stake? If that is of utter importance and trumps all other issues then do not read the rest of this post.
Of course I can vote that way, easily. You see, 40 million innocent deaths, and still growing with no end in sight is MUCH more important. It shows that the pro-death candidate lacks moral principles as to the deliberate murder of the innocent, if it is convenient to do so. Just because one elects a pro-llife candidate does not mean that s/he cannot deal with other issues effectively. They would not have gotten this far if they could not. And once elected they can receive plenty of help from advisors and government departments.

.....To me, this trumps the abortion issue.
And that is why people voted in Benito Mussolini. Because he could make the trains run on time. Don't vote for a Natal Nazi, don't degrade your moral principles.

Ratch

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
beenthere,

A good social conservative should be utterly against any governmental intrusion into personal choice.
And the "personal choice" being to kill the offspring. Government was invented to intrude into peoples lives. Especially criminal's lives. We would not and could not have it any other way. So let the government intrude into the innocent fetus's life and save it.

Ratch

Last edited:

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
jpanhalt,

I personally don't like abortion as an alternative to birth control and self control, but it is none of my business.
I would like the same freedon in that decision as a woman has for her unborn child.
Is it anyone's business if the child is born and develops a long term illness which requires more care than the mother is willing to give. So she aborts the life of the child. What is the difference? After all, you would not want to restrict her "choice", would you?

Ratch

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, there might be a bit of steam in here, politics is a hot topic and everyone has strong opinions. But, nonetheless, this is the 'off-topic' part of the threads?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.