NTE2987 or Equivalent

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Anyone have a cheaper source for the NTE2987 NMOS. Mouser wants like $7 for one.
Either that or an equivalent part???

Attachments

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Link changed to picture in my first post.

It's a Linear Constant Current LED Dimmer...
The NMOS in the circuit seems overkill though, but maybe i'm not getting the full picture...

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I don't know if it is a good idea to parallel the three LEDs as you have shown. The voltage drop across the LED is bound to vary between each of the LEDs. The LED with the lowest forward voltage will receive a greater share of the current than the remaining two and thus be brighter. This difference may be small enough that you can ignore it. You just need to be aware that it exists.

hgmjr

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
The voltage drop across the LED is bound to vary between each of the LEDs.hgmjr
Unerstood... There will probably be more that 3-4 LED's in parallel also.

How would you go about selecting LED's for equal or close voltage, use a constant current source and measure the voltage drop across them, matching the ones that are the closest?

Also: the only specific requirements of the MOSFET is that it is fully on at 400mA whth Vgs < 3.2V and it must be Logic-level.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Can you provide us with a part number so that we may take a look at the Vf and the current rating of the white LEDs you plan to use?

hgmjr

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Can you provide us with a part number so that we may take a look at the Vf and the current rating of the white LEDs you plan to use?

hgmjr
The LEDs are rated 10,000 to 12,000 mcd output. Operates from 3.2 to 3.4VDC @ 20mA.

I don't have a part#

Will probably design for 17-18mA and 3.2V...