NPN and PNP Transistor configuration puzzling me

chin kee ming

Joined Aug 3, 2019
Hai I am a beginner hobbyist tried to do transistors configuration but i met some questions i really don't understand
I have attached two pictures that i did for my transistor configuration but are that possible with that case

a) the NPN Transistor, I don't have to bias the Base and I can turn on the LED :confused:
b) PNP Transistor, I don't need the collector connection, I can turn on the LED:oops::oops:

Can everyone explain to me why these could happen???

Isn't that those transistors are malfunction? I had tried a whole batch of the Transistors (NPN & PNP) but all showed the same result:confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
a) Transistor leakage and enough beta will procude enough current to
turn LED partially on. Many LEDs now with uA thru them can put out enough
light to be visible.

b) Basically you have BE junction acting as a diode forward biased, so again
current will flow thru LED.

Regards, Dana.

chin kee ming

Joined Aug 3, 2019
light to be visible.

Regards, Dana.
Thank you very much to you

chin kee ming

Joined Aug 3, 2019
light to be visible.

Regards, Dana.
Sorry to problem and asking the naive question
if a PNP transistor's BE junction can act as a diode forward biased, so in what case the collector will come into play in PNP configuration
otherwise, I see that the collector will have no used at all

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
No schematic and no transistor part numbers. The schematic or the datasheet for the part numbers will tell us which pins on the transistor are emitter, base and collector.

The basics of a transistor is that a small base-emitter current can cause a much higher collector-emitter current. Then you have a switch or an amplifier.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hai I am a beginner hobbyist tried to do transistors configuration but i met some questions i really don't understand
I have attached two pictures that i did for my transistor configuration but are that possible with that case

a) the NPN Transistor, I don't have to bias the Base and I can turn on the LED :confused:
b) PNP Transistor, I don't need the collector connection, I can turn on the LED:oops::oops:

Can everyone explain to me why these could happen???

Isn't that those transistors are malfunction? I had tried a whole batch of the Transistors (NPN & PNP) but all showed the same result:confused::confused::confused:
Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3

boostbuck

Joined Oct 5, 2017
Why do newbies to this site often answer threads that are a year or more old?
Is this 'blaming the user' when the problem really lies with the software design? Perhaps a clearer indication of the age of a thread would help 'newbies' avoid answering old threads.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There IS a very clearly stated warning if you reply that states the age of the old post. So they ignored the warning! Go and try to reply to an old thread and see what happens. It's pretty darn obvious...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm not "blaming" anyone.
Just trying to understand what motivates them to do that.
I think it's a misunderstanding of the fluid nature of the forum. If you, as a new visitor, expect the knowledge here to be arranged by topic with each topic being added to incrementally, then a gap in time is to be expected. Instead, this place is a bit like a party, or a convention, with a bunch of different conversations all going on at once. In that model, going back to an old conversation is jarring. We get used to it but it's annoying to a beginner. It's so much harder to find anything.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Just trying to understand what motivates them to do that.
Not sure there is any specific motivation, like "Hey, here's a question with no activity for xx months; I think I'll jump right in." More like not noticing the posting dates when responding. Two days ago on another forum I saw a question about reducing the complexity of a small logic circuit that controls an electric train. I dipped in and out throughout the day with ideas, and eventually came up with a pretty good solution; all of the necessary functions with way fewer parts (28 soldered pins, down from over 60, one semiconductor type down from four). THEN I saw that the thread was 2 years old. Oh well ...

No, that site did not put up a warning about the age of the thread. Whatever, still a good circuit.

ak