Novice needs help with what should be a simple P channel mosfet project

woodworkerjb

Joined Mar 20, 2012
I thought this would be a simple project but it has left me scratching my head. I pulled all my hair out on the last project so scratching is all I have left. The project is as follows:

I have a 12v winch for my trailer. I want to use a 2 channel remote control for activation. The motor uses the standard starter solenoid to energize the motor. My research indicates the solenoid will pull 4 amps. The solenoid gets it ground through the frame of the trailer. The remote is simple enough, you just apply +5v and ground once a channel button is pressed it sends 5 volts to the channel pin.

Because the solenoid is permanently grounded I decided to go with a P channel (irf9540) mosfet so that I could switch the positive side to the solenoid vs negative. My true problem comes from the fact that I need to now pass a negative 5v to the fet to activate where the remote passes a 5 volt positive.

I tried using an opamp to invert the +5v to -5v but failed at this idea as well.

In sum: I have a remote control module that outputs +5volts to a channel pin. I am trying to use a p channel irf9540 mofset to switch the 12v 4amp motors solenoid on and off.

Any ideas on my approach or a whole new approach would be appreciated.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Use a transistor to invert your 5V control signal to drive the P MOSFET. I'll attach a schematic shortly...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Because the solenoid is permanently grounded I decided to go with a P channel (irf9540) mosfet so that I could switch the positive side to the solenoid vs negative. My true problem comes from the fact that I need to now pass a negative 5v to the fet to activate where the remote passes a 5 volt positive.
You're confusing the fact that the gate voltage relative to the source needs to be negative to turn on the P MOSFET with needing a negative voltage WRT ground.
upload_2015-12-22_10-7-21.png
When 5V is applied to R2, Q2 will "invert" it and ground the gate of the MOSFET to turn it on.

You need to add a snubber diode to protect the MOSFET.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
In case you don't know, the "snubber diode" , such as a 1N4001, goes from MOSFET drain terminal (cathode) to ground (anode).

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
For completeness...
upload_2015-12-22_10-27-15.png
Values for resistors not critical. If loading on 5V control is an issue, R2 can be larger. Diode can be anything you have on hand. Even a 1N4148 signal diode can take 2A for a μS. Just about any NPN transistor will do.

EDIT: snubber must handle 4A peak current...

Last edited:

woodworkerjb

Joined Mar 20, 2012
Dennis

Thank you so much that was a great way to solve my problem. I have tried it and it works. What would you suggest I add to the circuit to ensure the MOSFET stops conducting after the +5 volt signal is removed?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thank you so much that was a great way to solve my problem. I have tried it and it works. What would you suggest I add to the circuit to ensure the MOSFET stops conducting after the +5 volt signal is removed?
You're welcome. The 10K resistor should be sufficient. If for some reason it isn't, you can make it smaller.