Novice Help with Changing a light fitting!

Helen Chilvers

Joined Apr 7, 2017
I am trying to fit a new ceiling light fitting. I have changed many before but never come across this one.

Current ceiling pendant on opening has a lot of wires ... black, red, brown, blue and green yellow ... all secured in different slots and more than one of each. The light I wish to change it to has only 2 connections ... one for L and one for N .... don't even know where to begin? Please help!!

Thanks!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
First step.. Call electrician.. :)

You are removing the old one right?
Doesn't it only connect to 2 wires in the box too? plus ground? Connect to those same wires and call it a day..

A picture might help too.. Not sure what "slots" you are referring to either..
But its not uncommon at all to have other wires that aren't related to that fixture at all and its become a junction box.. 3way switch wires,etc.. (3 way traveler,etc..)

Also helps to state the country you are in..
I wouldn't expect any other colors in a box except for white/black/red/green in the US.. Of course you may find blues,etc.. in the actual fixture itself (fan/light wires,etc..)

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Are you in UK,??

if so sounds like you have a Ceiling Rose terminal block, your bulb wires are Brown and Blue, the far end two connections, next to the wire clamps.

If you need to remove the ceiling rose, i suggest you get a Qualified person to do it..

daves-ceiling-rose.jpg

Helen Chilvers

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Sorry I am in the UK and the fitting is from a long time ago I think ... the wires coming out of the ceiling are blue and brown that go down to the bulb. There are also a red and black that come from ceiling and are fitted into the fitting ... but don't go to the bulb.

I assume I use the brown and blue in the new fitting and then am I safe to just tape off the red and black?? If not what do I do with them?! I presume they are not needed for any purpose?

Thank you so much for helping!

Helen Chilvers

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Are you in UK,??

if so sounds like you have a Ceiling Rose terminal block, your bulb wires are Brown and Blue, the far end two connections, next to the wire clamps.

If you need to remove the ceiling rose, i suggest you get a Qualified person to do it..

View attachment 124202
That's exactly what it looks like now yes!!! In the new fitting there is only options for the L (brown?) and N (blue?) ... what do i do with the red and black??

Sorry I don't have the technical speak!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Well if you want to remove the ceiling rose yourself Not Recommended!! then you will need a Four terminal choc block, and remove the wires one at a time...

Helen Chilvers

Joined Apr 7, 2017
I think I am stumped as I have changed light fittings in the upstairs of my house a number of times but never encountered the red and black wires before! I understand that they got the light switch but I can't understand why the new light fitting doesn't incorporate them into the design!

Thank you for all your help

Joined Nov 30, 2010
First, what country are you in?
Second, if you're in U.S.A. Black means, "hot" and so does Red. The only sense that makes is if the colors don't matter or it's a 240 volt circuit. Not likely for a light fixture.
Need another clue.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
First, what country are you in?
Second, if you're in U.S.A. Black means, "hot" and so does Red. The only sense that makes is if the colors don't matter or it's a 240 volt circuit. Not likely for a light fixture.
Need another clue.
Re-Post #3,5

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Re-Post #3,5
#12 caught red handed skimming posts again :D
I don't know how that happened. I thought I was the first to answer, but I had just arrived home after working all night. I was procrastinating on the Internet to get bored enough to go to sleep. Apparently I was already asleep and didn't know it.:D

I have an idea. Maybe I clicked on this page, wandered off to unload the truck for 25 minutes, then sat down and answered without refreshing the page and 9 other posts had already happened.:eek:

Last edited:

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
It would be easy if you have available digital tester to measure the voltage level available in the wire(lines).
So since you are doing such things try have it with you one dvm(digital multimeter).

cornishlad

Joined Jul 31, 2013
In the uk, before the colours were standardized to, I suppose, to EU standards Red was Live and Black Neutral.
You have a mix of old and new wiring. Be very careful

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
Wow! Wiring questions on science fora?o_O I'm undecided about the US constitution but AAC's ruleset and topic guidelines are sho'nuff "living" documents!:D Don' mind me!;)

Thanks for all your help everyone ... took your advice and called in a professional!! It's all done now :)
I call that a happy ending:)

Last edited by a moderator: