Not bad for four greenhorns.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
"The motivation for this research was reducing greenhouse gas emissions and mitigating climate change."

I read Politics!

Funding? US DOE (aka: USA Taxpayers).

Let's hope this doesn't go the way of Solindra (or whatever the name of that $500,000,000,000.00 scandal was).

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
it takes phd and post doctorial people to do this kind of work? we do this here with floor service electricians updating unbelievaly complex systems and the programs that run them too.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This was funded research from the outset, which by design is unlikely to show financial success. It could be a total waste of time and energy but at least it wasn't an outright fraud like Solyndra. Of all the things the government throws my money at, this sort of thing offends me the least.

As bad as Solyndra was, you've got 3 too many zeroes.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
"The motivation for this research was reducing greenhouse gas emissions and mitigating climate change."

I read Politics!

Funding? US DOE (aka: USA Taxpayers).

Let's hope this doesn't go the way of Solindra (or whatever the name of that $500,000,000,000.00 scandal was).
Though Solyndra gets all the press, the US Energy Loan Program long ago made up for those losses and is turning a profit, and is helping to being new sources of energy to the market. Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/13/us-doe-loans-idUSKCN0IX0A120141113

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
"It took the program three years to break even after Solyndra's failure, while during that same time the Standard & Poor's 500 index increased 67 percent."

Not how I'd prefer to invest MY money.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
"The loan guarantee program has been successful in bringing to market good projects with good credit support that absolutely would not have been built,"

The purpose of the program was not to make a profit. That's just a side benefit. The real goal is to being new energy products to the market, a goal which is being realized.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
And what about the projects that might have been done if the people had not first been robbed of their tax dollars so that politicians could use that money to pay off their cronies and campaign donors?

Free capital markets are far more efficient at matching capital to opportunity than the central planners. All this intervention is like a boat anchor on true innovation and development.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Interesting. I helped one of the Phd. students working for that project design an electronic apparatus to measure how long it takes a sample of coal slurry to transit a reactor... I served on that student's thesis committee...

Oh, and I second what Brownout said...