Not able to acquire any signal in ouput of a optical encoder

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The encoder may output voltage signals, or it may have open collector/drain outputs. In the first case the output voltages may not match the required arduino input voltages. In the second case you will need pull up or pull down resistors to get a voltage signal for the ardino.

Connect the 5V and ground signals to the motor then measure the voltage between ground and encoder outputs while rotating the motor.
If you do not see a changing voltage then a resistor (not critical but 10K would be good) between one of the encoder outputs and +5V and repeat the voltage measurement as descibed above.
If you still do not see a voltage signal then connect the resistor from the encoder output to ground and repeat the voltage measurements.

Dpunkr1

Joined May 16, 2022
The specs for that printer motor encoder is confusing, it states 10v -31vdc, but also at 5v it takes 3A???
So confusing,, I measured through DMM it was displaying 10 v at 0.6amp
Again it was 2.5v 1.6 amp,,,, all the output and 2 signals pin were continuing when I diagnosed with continuity test,,, so confusing,, please suggest me a way to check it correctly Or proper method

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As @AlbertHall mentioned, encoders are typically either open collector, (require a load resistor etc) or RS485 or similar etc.
I am not familiar with the printer versions.
Have you tried 10k pull-up as suggested?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Assuming they will be NPN output, the resistor will go from output to +ve supply.
If they are PNP the resistor would be fed from the -ve supply side.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I didn't mean to infer serial, I was thinking of the type that use a Differential driver to produce the A & /A, B & /B signals, but of course these are single ended!
Sometimes the RS422 version is used as a differential driver..

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Use one 10k resistor to connect an output to +5v. Two total resistors. If you don't have a 10k, anything down to 1k should work (likely even lower). Then connect to the encoders A and B outputs to look for the signal.

Dpunkr1

Joined May 16, 2022
Does the AB signal pin has a continuity with ground ,,,, when I do a continuity test AB has continuity with ground