Norton/McAfee Malware

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I have some malware on my computer Windows 10 computer that I can't can't rid of.
I am running Windows Defender and ran Malwarebytes but no luck.
Various small popups (such as below) saying My Norton or McAfee subscription has expired, or that my computer is infected (and the infection is the popup :eek:) keep occuring.
The stay on top of all other windows and are impossible to remove.
I've using Chrome and went through the cleanup process for that, but the malware is apparently installed on my computer independent of the browser.
Anyone else have experience with this?

1592751431519.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Never had that particular problem, but if you have a restore point that predates the problem, restoring it might be the easiest solution. Windows usually makes them periodically and you can force them to be created before making any significant changes.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
For the last few months, I've been assiduously deleting spam emails alerting me to the fact that my virus protection subscription is expiring/has expired and that I need to resubscribe. First for McAfee and lately also Norton 360. I keep reporting them to my spam filtering service but new ones pop up daily. NEVER open them! There is a way on WIN10 to view what processes are running, can't remember right off how. Review the list and google anything that you don't know and find the executable and delete it!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
For the last few months, I've been assiduously deleting spam emails alerting me to the fact that my virus protection subscription is expiring/has expired and that I need to resubscribe. First for McAfee and lately also Norton 360. I keep reporting them to my spam filtering service but new ones pop up daily. NEVER open them! There is a way on WIN10 to view what processes are running, can't remember right off how. Review the list and google anything that you don't know and find the executable and delete it!
Finding an executable and deleting it is a good way to mess up your system.

First, use “Add/Remove Programs” in Control Panel to remove unneeded software AND all of its components.

Second Google “Remove programname “ and follow instructions to remove all components.

Third, rename the executable to something else, reboot and repeat the process.

Just deleting the executable may cause another component to fail and eat up resources trying to recover.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Brings back unhappy memories. :(

I came to see Norton and McAfee each as a cure worse than the disease, so I now avoid them at all costs.

Windows virus checking seems plenty good enough for me, and now comes free with Windows 10. I just take care not to open suspicious emails.

Just my thoughts, and experience. I am no security expert.

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
He mentioned he already tried MalwareBytes and no luck. I don't think this is malware in it's usual sense, just advertising from a program that has some form of 'stub' installed.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
There is a solution to this, but no one wants to hear it.
It's not that I don't want to hear it, it's just that I'm not interested in going through the very large pain (at least it would be for me) to change my machines from Windows to Linux.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
One thing is obvious from this thread:

An anti-virus company certainly knows how to write viruses, and to make them difficult to remove.
Here's what really sucks: one pays a considerable amount of cash for a decent CPU and associated hardware. It comes with a 1980s era single-user operating system that requires about 90% of the useful CPU cycles (running additional paid-for software) just to (unsuccessfully) protect itself from malware.

This is the biggest tech scam I'm aware of, besides Facebook, Twitter, etc.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I get annoying pop-ups with Win10, missing drivers etc. Can't seem to get rid of them!:mad:
I mainly still use my XP PC, much easier to navigate.
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have some malware on my computer Windows 10 computer that I can't can't rid of.
I am running Windows Defender and ran Malwarebytes but no luck.
Various small popups (such as below) saying My Norton or McAfee subscription has expired, or that my computer is infected (and the infection is the popup :eek:) keep occuring.
The stay on top of all other windows and are impossible to remove.
I've using Chrome and went through the cleanup process for that, but the malware is apparently installed on my computer independent of the browser.
Anyone else have experience with this?
Yes. Many years ago, I bought a Dell PC with McAfee pre-installed. It was horrible. I tried to remove it using Windows tools. No luck. The only solution was to reformat C and reinstall from free-market (NOT Dell) disks. Well worth the cost at the time. That was early 2000's. Times have changed, but I would never buy a computer with pre-installed anti-virus or malware like McAfee (which is the worst) or Norton. Or, my first act would be to format C and add only software I wanted.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Finding an executable and deleting it is a good way to mess up your system.

First, use “Add/Remove Programs” in Control Panel to remove unneeded software AND all of its components.

Second Google “Remove programname “ and follow instructions to remove all components.

Third, rename the executable to something else, reboot and repeat the process.

Just deleting the executable may cause another component to fail and eat up resources trying to recover.
You have to know what you can delete and what you cant delete. If you dont know then you probably should not delete unless it is the last ditch attempt to fix something.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
In a word:
"Task Manager"
Oh wait that's two words :)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
In my experience, "Task Manager" tells you what is hung up. Not much information as to why. So for example, if I am using MPLab 8.92 and it hangs, I have a way out. But hundreds of times I use that program, it doesn't hang.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Task manager does not show anything suspicious running.
I do have a copy of Process Explorer which shows the process running, but I can't delete it.
Just keeps popping back up.
An anti-virus company certainly knows how to write viruses, and to make them difficult to remove.
Probably true.
But this is a spoof, not written by Norton/McAfee since, when I click on it, it directs me to a bogus website.