Noob - Question, a simple cable tester

Herzlos

Joined Oct 8, 2021
I have played around some with small dc circuits, and have a limited knowledge of the correct terminology specially when it comes to microcontollers. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to how I should search for this. I am looking to make a simple project that will use a LCD display that will list what 2 port/pin/register are connected. I am not sure what this would be called to search a forum or google on how to approach this.

Say its a simple cable tester. Each end is plugged in, I want to be able to push a button. The controller will scan to see which connection go where if any where and on the LCD will display something like this.

1 2 3 4 5 6
1 3 2 4 * 6

From that I would be able to see Pin 1 on connector "A" went to Pin 1 on Connector "B"... 2 - 3, 3 - 2, 4 - 4, 5 to nothing, 6 - 6

I think I will be able to figure out the circuit, I just not sure what/where to search for the microcontroller function. Is there a correct term for this or is it possible within a microcontroller. I would think this is a more simple task But haven't come across any tutorials covering it yet. Something along the lines of light up this LED if these two pins are connect or this LED if those 2 Pins are connected.

I am currently avoiding handling Multiple connected to one Pin, I think that would be a lot more complex and something I can sort out once I have a feel for one to one.

I am not looking for anyone to write any code to do this. I am just trying to narow what I am searching for as I try to learn how to do this. I feel this is something I can accomplish with a microcontroller and hope this was the correct forum to ask. I am not looking to use an ardunio and a lot of the turtorials I find on youtube and else where are using ardunios.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The Arduino versions are microcontroller based so I would use one as the design basis for the hardware/software required if I needed a starting place. What type of controller do you want to use? What is your current programming expertise? There is no hardware preset micro-controller function for something like this. It will need to be programmed at some level.

Example PIC16 cable tester: https://www.qsl.net/v/ve3lny/cabletester.html

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am not sure what this would be called to search a forum or google on how to approach this.
Have you tried "cable tester" or "cable tester circuit"?

I am not looking to use an ardunio and a lot of the turtorials I find on youtube and else where are using ardunios.
Why not? Arduino will probably have libraries for just about everything you want to do (i.e. drive an LCD). If you want a smaller form factor, you could use the Arduino collateral to program an ATmega328 on an Uno with a socket and make a board for the programmed chip.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is a LCD display code and diagram on the Nigel Goodwin Tutoriol site, the code is in assembly but there is a conversion out there for his projects to C.plus.
You would just need to add the port input code.

Herzlos

Joined Oct 8, 2021
Sorry, For some reason it never dawned on me to looked for cable tester circuits.

I do appreciate the fast replies and Helpful information.

I will look into these suggested links and google more on Cable tester circuits if needed.

Thanks