Non tallied likes for PM threads?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Aleph(0), Nov 17, 2017.

1. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    So my suggestion is to have _like_ button available for posts on PM threads cuz sometimes it's nice to acknowledge or show general agreement with a post w/o posting. Anyhow I agree that PM _likes_ shouldn't be counted on member's _like score_! They'd be just to allow subtle feedback to PM posts. Tnx:)!

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Is typing "thanks", or "I agree, thank you", "or, "thank you, I like that answer" so challenging?

Sinus23 likes this.
  3. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Gophert do u ever _like_ public posts? Cuz if so I say now ur just being contrary for Ss and Gs:p

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I press the like button because some people seem to value that more than a thank you post (which clutter the thread).
    In a private conversation, I think the courtesy of personal communication should be extended to the other person.

shortbus and cmartinez like this.
  5. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Maybe we should also add another button in the public threads indicating that "I liked your 'like' " ... :p:D

Sinus23, Aleph(0) and GopherT like this.
  6. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Gophert I say clutter can be objectionable on private threads too! Also plz remember that PMs can have multiple participants! So what's good in public threads is good for private threads! But I agree that _likes_ on PMs shoulden't be tallied cuz _reputation score_ should be based on public posts only!

Cmartinez I say a lot of ppl do that just by _liking_ the liker's latest post which only goes to show what's good for karma isn't always good for meaningful reputation scoreo_O:D

tcmtech and cmartinez like this.
  7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Meaningful Reputation Score?

Aleph(0) likes this.
  8. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Heh:oops:! Gophert so ok everybody who gives a <preemptive snip by Aleph(0);)> knows my top heavy reputation to post count ratio of 616/428 is cuz of rule that counts OT likes but not OT posts. So I say system works cuz near and above unity ratios alert ppl to that:)!

9. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Personally, I'd like the option to like one or more parts of a post, and dislike other parts to varying degrees.

This would be a useful feature to save one from digging through long-winded posts in order to isolate the few gems from the otherwise sandy dunes of the author's cluttered mind.

Hypatia's Protege and Aleph(0) like this.
  10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I just don't read the long winded posts.

11. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Joeyd999 I say ur right! Cuz I see posts that I'm in like 99% agreement with that I can't _like_ cuz of risk of sending wrong msg abt 1% I disagree with:(!

12. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Gophert I totally agree that multi-page responses in conversational context are totally offputting:rolleyes:! IMO long posts only make sense for instructional material and like that! So it's basically like broadcasting vs QSO:)!

13. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Aleph(0) likes this.
  14. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Shortbus link just takes me to error page:confused:? So I'm guessing from name of site in link addy that ur confusing my use of QSO with short-form abbreviation for quasi stellar object?

So anyhow QSO is just Q-code used as noun for _contact_ which means at least two sided conversation instead of broadcasting which is basically being a crocodile cuz it's all mouth and no ears:D!

So here's list of Q codes: Now being strictly proper, Q codes are always in form of questions but for informal use (like in amateur radio) they can be used in directives, responses or just as stand alone nouns:)

So for example QTH strictly means _what are your geographical coordinates?_ but in casual use as noun in a response, somebody speaking from _Sin City_ could say _My QTH is Montreal_

So here's another example of Q-code as stand alone noun (Like I used QSO):
    QRM properly means _are you experiencing interference?_ But informally it's just synonym for interference:cool:

Sry if all that's too boring:(

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    cmartinez likes this.
  15. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Very intersting... I didn't know about q-codes... only code I'm very slightly familiar with is the old CB ten-code. As in "what's your 10-20?" = what's your location?, or "10-4" = affirmative.

And I didn't know about the crocodile analogy either... gonna use it on my son next time we're having a discussion and he's not listening :D

Aleph(0) likes this.
  16. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Cmartinez I say be careful abt that cuz if I know kids he'll just say _crocodiles have ears! You just can't see them!_:rolleyes::D

cmartinez likes this.
  17. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012

Now look how much time you saved by using "QSO"

Aleph(0) likes this.
  18. Aleph(0)

Thread Starter Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Gophert that just proves ham bands are a totally different culture than web which I say is a vry good thing for amateur radio:D!

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  19. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Guess I'll need to try my links after copying them from a site. I knew you were referencing SW codes. Was just trying to be funny. But also was assuming you were being funny with this thread. To say it clutters up a PM thread too much, after all the clutter you and HP put into threads, your's and other peoples, with airing your personal stuff, makes me laugh. And before you accuse me, I'm neither trolling or criticizing, just stating facts.

Aleph(0) and GopherT like this.
  20. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    AFAIK our 'TMI' (i.e. too much information - aka 'personal') posts have been restricted to our threads?:confused:

Speaking for myself (at least) I promise to refrain from over-sensitivity if you do;):cool:

FWIW I like @Aleph(0)'s suggestion inasmuch as it provides for the self-same 'clean' courteous closure/transition of topic (sans interminable 'acknowledgment' posts) enjoyed on the public fora...:cool:

Very best regards
    HP:)