Non intrusive SMD counting from during Pick and Place operation

anxiety

Joined Mar 16, 2018
Hello,
I need help to count the number of SMDs consumed in a reel during the pick and place machine operation in an SMT assembly line.
The pick and place machine must be having a mechanism to get the count. But I need to do this externally. Is there sensor I could use to determine the count of SMDs / number of revolutions of the reel?

Here's a video displaying the assembly line operation -

Last edited by a moderator:

anxiety

Joined Mar 16, 2018
Just count the number of boards produced and multiply by the number of each component on them.
I need to be able to track the number of SMDs live.

Just count the number of boards produced and multiply by the number of each component on them.
Can you please suggest a method to find the number of revolutions of the reel? Possibly, the number of devices can be derived from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I suspect the number of devices per revolution will vary with the size of the device and number of revolutions remaining. That is, the smaller the reel, the faster it will turn per device.

anxiety

Joined Mar 16, 2018
I suspect the number of devices per revolution will vary with the size of the device and number of revolutions remaining. That is, the smaller the reel, the faster it will turn per device.
That's right. But if I can account for it mathematically, how can I find the number of revolutions.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Can you intercept a signal every time the tape advances?

Optical sensor or photo interrupter to count chips on their way past?

A hall sensor could detect pins on the feed sprockets but that might not be easy to calculate the number of chips.