Non-altering, reactive elements, signal frequency division, in a 3way audio speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
I suppose the bestone could hope for is a comparison into a pure resistance.
Yes Ian0, that would be quite alright if it could be arranged to separate bass, mid-range, and treble; and direct those frequencies to drivers that can accurately reproduce them. By the way didn't you finally agree that "a capacitor will alter the waveform of any non-sinusoidal signal". Or maybe some of my friends are using the name IanO not Ian0.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
(? they ask a cat to remember to be a human - WTH - ok - let's see how it turns out ...)
what is that what you are after here?
- the speakers are likely a complex subject https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/simulate-speaker-with-equivalent-rlc-circuit , for tweeter Fig.2
- the far-field responce depends also on : the case acoustics , dynamic range e.g. volume and the frequency response of the particular device/"speaker"
My goal is the avoidance of the musical signal's alteration during recording and playback. Because it's my opinion that the best listening experience is provided by sound quality that is as close as possible to indistinguishable from a live symphony. That is the sole reason for my efforts on this subject. But the reason for these posts is different. I use criticism of my designs to identify and correct any overlooked flaws, and my responses to your replies are my way of giving-back, as thanks but only for honest criticism.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Neither capacitors or inductors Distort the signal anywhere near as much as a loudspeaker does.
Exactly, with modern high quality components the transducer distortion will easily be the prime culprit in the audio chain. Good amplifiers and filter components have distortion levels below the threshold of hearing while great speakers produce orders of magnitude more distortion at normal to high listening levels.
https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/Know_How/Literature/Papers/Loudspeaker regular signal distortion caused by design_part 1_Klippel_Werner.pdf

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So far, all you've done is some arm waving to say your way of doing the filter is better.
Show us some simulations or other data to show the difference and we will believe you.
Otherwise you are just blowing smoke.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
Your resistor is wasting a lot more than a minor amount of power, as well as reducing the damping factor, which will likely have more detrimental effect on the sound then the change in the filter.
You perceived improvement in sound quality has no basis in fact.

If you really are that concerned about the passive effects of the crossovers on the sound, then then usual way is to use a bi-amp (or in this case tri-amp) system with a separate amp to each speaker, and the filters being active Linkwitz–Riley crossover filters at the amp inputs.
That way you get near perfect crossovers with none of the possible problems of passive filters, or the change in speaker impedance with frequency that also affects a passive crossover response.
Yes a bi-amp, but who has that? I'm limited to what I have in my receiver. As for speakers, I have two homemade 3 way systems to experiment with, and do so.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
So far, all you've done is some arm waving to say your way of doing the filter is better.
Show us some simulations or other data to show the difference and we will believe you.
Otherwise you are just blowing smoke.
Be reassured I'll post the results of the next rewiring of my speakers, but also understand I'm not a 1 man R&D division financed by any corporation. As Ian0 might tell you, I continue my work because I enjoy intellectual pursuits.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
Exactly, with modern high quality components the transducer distortion will easily be the prime culprit in the audio chain. Good amplifiers and filter components have distortion levels below the threshold of hearing while great speakers produce orders of magnitude more distortion at normal to high listening levels.
https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klippel/Files/Know_How/Literature/Papers/Loudspeaker regular signal distortion caused by design_part 1_Klippel_Werner.pdf
So wouldn't you start by rewiring your speakers Ian?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I guess you missed my question. What is the distortion you are trying to mitigate look like? Have you measured it? Can you describe it?

How does you proposed filter improve it? How do you know that it does?

I am very confused by your assertions without, apparently, any way to test the results.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
So wouldn't you start by rewiring your speakers?

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
I guess you missed my question. What is the distortion you are trying to mitigate look like? Have you measured it? Can you describe it?

How does you proposed filter improve it? How do you know that it does?

I am very confused by your assertions without, apparently, any way to test the results.
Nope, my ears are my oscilloscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.