Need help altering existing Arduino based project w/ PCB

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
There is a project I have been wanting to build for some time and it looks fairly simple but I'm not a good judge of that. It is an amperage sensor/meter that can connect 3-7 clamp on amp-coils (forget their names) which plug in with a 3.5mm jack.

From what I have read the Arduino is capable of handling more than this number of sensors but since the system is already designed to handle the number it is, I'm wondering if it would be possible to increase the number it handles.

The project is listed on Instructables and my efforts to contact the publisher (MANY times) have gone unnoticed or unreturned, so IDK what the deal is with him.

The project uses SMD's which I don't have experience with and would like to use "older" through hole components if that is possible, which I would guess means a re-design of the board. The board also uses a 120 to 5v transformer and I'm OK removing this and using a wall-wort 5v supply (I have a bunch of 3-6A USB hub power supplies)/

I guess I would be capable of making the board on my own using the laser printer method and the etching it, but I have no experience with CAD and have had an impossible time trying to learn it.

This is the link to the instructables.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-home-energy-monitor-shield/https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-home-energy-monitor-shield/

I don't want to post the schematics or other info on this site b/c it was originally posted on Instructables.

If you are capable of doing this and are also interested in a possible commercial interest in something similar, then please contact me ASAP as I have found a number of possible clients who might be interested in ordering quantity of these, but I need at least 1 or 2 to run to work the kinks out.

I'm also posting at a couple tech colleges to see if there is anyone interested but I'm not sure how reliable some students may be, but that is a little prejudicial I know..

PS, Using the Arduino is fine for this project but IDK if it is possible to have a purpose built component that could run a device like this in a commercial version. IDK how much work would go into this or if thee are off-the-shelf items that can do what is needed for this.

Please contact me with questions and let me know your background in electronics and if you have interest in designing a more advanced model.

Thanks for your consideration!

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I'm OK removing this and using a wall-wort 5v supply
This circuit needs the AC input from the transformer to do the power factor correction. Results will be very inaccurate without this correction. You can do this with a wall wart providing it has an AC output but standard DC supplies won't do it.

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
This circuit needs the AC input from the transformer to do the power factor correction. Results will be very inaccurate without this correction. You can do this with a wall wart providing it has an AC output but standard DC supplies won't do it.
Thank you for letting me know this because I wouldn't have known this at all and I'd probably be scratching my head why it wasn't working correctly!