Noisy mains causing false triggering of TRIAC?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hey everybody, I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions on how bad the mains would have to be to cause false triggering on TRIACS. We've got a machine that had been working fine for a customer in Saudi Arabia, but when they moved it to a new location, it blew its MOV and fuse, and then, after those problems were resolved, every TRIAC-based control in the machine is misbehaving.

Throughout the machine, there are multiple locations where we have a little subcircuit for controlling 200-250VAC with a 5V signal (essentially a proprietary, compact SSR.) Every one of these is "leaking" some amount of power such that the solenoid valves they control are humming, buzzing, and leaking just a little water when they should be off. If you provide the 5V signal, they turn on properly, but they never turn all the way off. Simple DMM measurement across the solenoid coil reads around 110-120V when "off" (should read zero) and the expected 230V when on.

Our first assumption was that they had accidentally wired the machine to 400V instead of 230V (people constantly ignore our specs and just hook up whatever two wires are closest to the machine) and that they had damaged most, or all, of the internal circuitry. We had them replace one of these mini-SSR circuits to see if that resolved the problem on the one circuit, but that one also buzzes immediately, so that rules out the idea that it was an accidental 400V connection causing the problem, because they're definitely on 230V now, and the brand new mini-SSR is misbehaving in the same way as the other ones. We've had them disconnect the signal wire entirely, so it's definitely not being triggered by erroneous signals on the 5V line.

Obviously a DMM will just read average and/or RMS voltage, but not tell you anything about the "quality" of the power, so I'm wondering if their mains could really be noisy enough to cause this behavior. I know TRIACs can be false-triggered by high dV/dt conditions, and I know some voltage sources are far worse than others (cheap power inverters putting out essentially square waves instead of sine waves, etc.) Do you think it's possible that their mains power is the right voltage, as read with a DMM, but noisy enough to perpetually trigger TRIACs?

The TRIAC in question is the T405-600B-TR (links to DigiKey and datasheet.)

Oddly enough, even though we paid for this design, we never got a schematic for it, just the Gerbers, so I've reverse engineered it myself. The circuit is as shown below (except that a few part numbers are wrong because I just used available standard symbols in LTSpice.)
Solenoid-Switch_Ristretto_02.png
I think it's particularly interesting that C2 is not being installed. If it were there it would act as a snubber for the TRIAC gate, right? Anyway, regardless of anything that could be improved in the circuit, my real question here is about the mains power. We've got tens of thousands of these mini-SSR circuits in the field and their failure rate is exceptionally low, so I'm quite confident that something strange has happened in Saudi Arabia, I'm just not sure what.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Have a you tried a commercial SSR such as a Opto22 or equiv in a location just to test.?
This would help determine if it is in fact the device or external sources.
Not sure if it would make a difference in this instance, but I never use AC solenoids anymore, DC only.
Max.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Do you think it's possible that their mains power is the right voltage, as read with a DMM, but noisy enough to perpetually trigger TRIACs?
Having ruled out the 5V signal line as the problem then line noise seems the likely culprit, particularly if the triacs are sensitive-gate types (I haven't checked) without a snubber cap. Can you get your customer to scope the line voltage?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Having ruled out the 5V signal line as the problem then line noise seems the likely culprit, particularly if the triacs are sensitive-gate types (I haven't checked) without a snubber cap. Can you get your customer to scope the line voltage?
Scoping the mains would be ideal, but I'm 99% sure from the phone conversations so far that they don't have the equipment or the skills to do it.

I think they're going to need to get a good electrician in there. I've never heard of anything like this, so I wanted to see if my theory seemed plausible, and hear about any similar experiences you all have had.

Googling Saudi mains power did turn up the fact they're in the midst of converting the entire country from 127/220 to 230/400, so I can only imagine that leads to all sorts of confusion for electricians, and lots of unintended consequences when redistributing power.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
The TRIAC is described as three-quadrant and snubberless, so it shouldn't be especially bad in this application.

20V/micro second dV/dt spec, but I have no perspective on how that number compares to real world noise scenarios.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The TRIAC is described as three-quadrant and snubberless, so it shouldn't be especially bad in this application.

20V/micro second dV/dt spec, but I have no perspective on how that number compares to real world noise scenarios.
Hey everybody, I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions on how bad the mains would have to be to cause false triggering on TRIACS. We've got a machine that had been working fine for a customer in Saudi Arabia, but when they moved it to a new location, it blew its MOV and fuse, and then, after those problems were resolved, every TRIAC-based control in the machine is misbehaving.

Throughout the machine, there are multiple locations where we have a little subcircuit for controlling 200-250VAC with a 5V signal (essentially a proprietary, compact SSR.) Every one of these is "leaking" some amount of power such that the solenoid valves they control are humming, buzzing, and leaking just a little water when they should be off. If you provide the 5V signal, they turn on properly, but they never turn all the way off. Simple DMM measurement across the solenoid coil reads around 110-120V when "off" (should read zero) and the expected 230V when on.

Our first assumption was that they had accidentally wired the machine to 400V instead of 230V (people constantly ignore our specs and just hook up whatever two wires are closest to the machine) and that they had damaged most, or all, of the internal circuitry. We had them replace one of these mini-SSR circuits to see if that resolved the problem on the one circuit, but that one also buzzes immediately, so that rules out the idea that it was an accidental 400V connection causing the problem, because they're definitely on 230V now, and the brand new mini-SSR is misbehaving in the same way as the other ones. We've had them disconnect the signal wire entirely, so it's definitely not being triggered by erroneous signals on the 5V line.

Obviously a DMM will just read average and/or RMS voltage, but not tell you anything about the "quality" of the power, so I'm wondering if their mains could really be noisy enough to cause this behavior. I know TRIACs can be false-triggered by high dV/dt conditions, and I know some voltage sources are far worse than others (cheap power inverters putting out essentially square waves instead of sine waves, etc.) Do you think it's possible that their mains power is the right voltage, as read with a DMM, but noisy enough to perpetually trigger TRIACs?

The TRIAC in question is the T405-600B-TR (links to DigiKey and datasheet.)

Oddly enough, even though we paid for this design, we never got a schematic for it, just the Gerbers, so I've reverse engineered it myself. The circuit is as shown below (except that a few part numbers are wrong because I just used available standard symbols in LTSpice.)
View attachment 153391
I think it's particularly interesting that C2 is not being installed. If it were there it would act as a snubber for the TRIAC gate, right? Anyway, regardless of anything that could be improved in the circuit, my real question here is about the mains power. We've got tens of thousands of these mini-SSR circuits in the field and their failure rate is exceptionally low, so I'm quite confident that something strange has happened in Saudi Arabia, I'm just not sure what.

This reminds me of a situation where an automatic test system that I had developed misbehaved when it was installed in the new plant in Korea. It worked perfectly here in Canada. When we investigated we found that the electricians there had not connected any grounds in the 220 Volt plant wiring. We first suspected this when we got a mild shock when two adjacent equipment cabinets were touched. Some of the measuring equipment was damaged and had to be replaced.
Some countries do not have the same standards and controls we have in place here in North America, and do not understand the reasons for them. In your case, I would suspect the plant wiring before anything else.