Noise Parameters and thier effect on Filter design

sbya1875

Joined May 11, 2021
Hi everyone,
I was designing a filter and my team wanted to ensure the total noise to be as low as possible and hence searched for low noise op-amps. I'm actually having a problem with the term Input Voltage Noise Density, like for AD8605, the datasheet mentions Input Voltage Noise Density = 9 nV/sqrt Hz and the total noise in output is around a max of 580 nV/sqrt Hz. Another device, LT6203, where in the datasheet it's mentioned Input Voltage Noise Density = 2 nV/sqrt Hz but the output shows a total noise of around 26 uV/sqrt Hz max. I found this to be strange since I felt low Input Voltage Noise Density meant lower overall noise which isn't the case for my simulations as you can see.

1621261065919.png

LT6203 Noise Response

1621261040384.png

AD8605 Noise Response

I unfortunately do not have much command over the concepts of noise parameters and hence couldn't figure out the mistake from my side. Can anyone please help me out. The simulation files are attached to this.

Thank You,
With Regards,
Srinjay Bhattacharya

Attachments

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
What you are looking at is the combination of white noise which has a flat spectrum and 1/f noise which rises at 6dB per octave at low frequency. There is a parameter called "1/f noise corner", where white noise and 1/f noise are equal. Above that frequency the noise spectrum should be flat, and below that frequency the noise will rise at 6dB/octave.

I also note that you haven't mentioned current noise density and your source impedance.

sbya1875

Joined May 11, 2021
What you are looking at is the combination of white noise which has a flat spectrum and 1/f noise which rises at 6dB per octave at low frequency. There is a parameter called "1/f noise corner", where white noise and 1/f noise are equal. Above that frequency the noise spectrum should be flat, and below that frequency the noise will rise at 6dB/octave.

I also note that you haven't mentioned current noise density and your source impedance.
Thanks for helping out.