Noise and Error in Linear Acceleration Readings

Johnny1010

Joined Jul 13, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am trying to measure linear acceleration using an H3lis100dl (www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/h3lis100dl.pdf) with an arduino. I am measuring high g accelerations thus using the 100g accelerometer. The issue is that whenever I slightly tap the accelerometer it shows that the linear acceleration is around 7-8 g and even sometimes more, which is not possible. So, to check this I hooked up an MPU6050 (16g) along with the h3lis on the same board. And as you can see in Fig 1, on tapping the board slightly, the MPU6050 shows a slight movement suggesting that a low g movement has occurred but the H3lis can peak upto 7-8 g's. The y-axis in the figure is in m/s2. Red - H23lis, Blue - MPU6050.
Fig 1.png

Now if I don't tap the board and only do a rotation or a continuous sweeping sort of movement. I get a bell sort of a curve and in this case both the readings are pretty much in sync (Fig 2 & 3).
Fig 2.png Fig 3.png

So, the 100g accelerometer under a sudden shock situation is not responding in the right way. Also, I get a constant noise in the H3lis signal shown in Fig 4, and also visible in other figures that H3lis readings fluctuate a lot.
Fig 4.png

Any suggestions for figuring out and rectifying the H3lis behavior, under a sudden movement situation and improving the noise response(I am doing a simple averaging to control the noise).

Thanks in advance.