No safe level for lead exposure

Discussion in 'General Science' started by Mellisa_K, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:10 PM.

1. Mellisa_K

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2017
  2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    While the toxicity of lead has been well known, researched and documented, there are many other environmental poisons that we need to be even more concerned about than just lead.

Just to name a few of the most common ones: mercury, cadmium, air particulates, plastics, BPA, asbestos, fluoride, GMO, pesticides, cigarette smoke, pharmaceuticals discarded down the toilet, diet drinks, bottled water.

When put into perspective, the amount of lead exposure from soldering is the least of your troubles.

Wendy and Mellisa_K like this.
  3. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    The Walking Lead.

Mellisa_K likes this.
  4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Young Bella won't get any older,
    She failed to take heed when they told her
    "You'll finish up dead
    from ingestion of lead.
    When you're soldering, don't suck the solder!"

Mellisa_K likes this.
  5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012

Read the whole article. Out of the thousands of people with lead fragments in their body from gunshot wounds, fewer than 100 have "lead poisoning" symptoms. Of those, the source of lead may not have been researched properly since the source was assumed to be the bullet fragment.

Elemental lead or lead alloys are rarely dangerous unless exposed to oxidizing or acidic conditions (Flint). Lead paint dust / flakes are lead oxide. Those dissolve and become incorporated into proteins (enzymes) and nervous system tissues and prove toxic.

ronv likes this.
  6. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    According to WHO:

Worldwide annual deaths due to lead: 143,000
    Worldwide annual deaths due to dihydrogen monoxide: 372,000

The author's concern is misplaced. She should be fighting for the elimination of dihydrogen monoxide.

Wendy likes this.
  7. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    Blaa, blaa, blaa. Blaa, blaa, blaa. The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Maybe that explains why life expectency has been dropping over the last 100 years... Oh, wait - it hasn't been dropping.

The body can tolerate low levels of most toxins without significant impact on quality of life. We don't live in a "safe" world. From the moment we are born, we begin a (hopefully) slow slide toward death.

And di-hydrus oxide is way more dangerous than lead, but try to live without it.

Mellisa_K likes this.
  8. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    In some cases, improve quality of life.

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    twitch. twitch.

Mellisa_K likes this.
  10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Took a while but I stopped using my mouth as a third hand while soldering projects. Made me the woman I am now it did. Think about it.

GopherT likes this.
  11. Mellisa_K

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Casual indifference to a known danger is a sign of emotional immaturity. A very male thing. We cld lose our world to such ppl. Think abt it when u next see these two little boys

12. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Lead metal has a low vapor pressure and when exposed at room temperatures essentially none is inhaled. At soldering temperatures vapor levels are still essentially zero. Don't eat it, don't suck solder and wash your hands after soldering.

I think we all know there is a 'bullet' with our name on it, it might be cancer, stroke or a heart attack. Lead poisoning from hobby level soldering is so far down on the list of what will cause a major health problem is not worth much of a worry.

Disneyland might be much more dangerous.

[​IMG]

Mellisa_K likes this.
  13. Mellisa_K

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Great post. Very reassuring regarding vapour. Ty

14. Mellisa_K

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2017
    But maybe low death rate of lead partly due to its ban in vehicle petroleum?

15. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I certainly agree with you that the problem is indifference, and added to that, ignorance.
    Besides lead, may I suggest that you research the impact on human health as a result of two common substances, plastic, and sugar.

Mellisa_K likes this.
  16. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    More kids were getting poised by lead from house paint and other painted wood.before titanium oxide became the base white pigment of choice for paint, lead oxide was the most common. Also, instead of the high quality latex dispersions used as binder, the coatings of yesteryear would peel from the wall easily and look like delicious chips for pre-schoolers.

If governments of the world had not banned tetra ethyl lead, the lead dust that would have settled around every major highway in the world and could have become a severe issue. There were some "hot spots" of lead but still nowhere near the issue associated with paint.

Luckily, lead paint was also banned in the US in 1978, and only old houses suffer. They still suffer. Remodeling vintage woodwork and prepping the wood can dust up old layers of lead paint, entry into the body by breathing the sanding dust is very efficient route to the bloodstream.

Mellisa_K likes this.
  17. Mellisa_K

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2017
    ... Yes agree. + Salt... Everything in moderation
    Our world is built on plastic. Wonder material but oh so dangerous to our planet.

18. Mellisa_K

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2017
    Yes we need regulations to make our world safe from ourselves. Yr example is a good one

19. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    I wonder what causes more harm to a human being, the amount of lead one absorbs during a lifetime OR the amount of sunlight absorbed during a lifetime?

Why would a little lead worry anyone........but not the sunlight?

What about particulate matter? I'll bet pollen has a much higher medical cost than lead.

How many regulations does it take to satisfy you?

Yeah....we have a lot of problems and dangers.......and of course the first thing to do is to assign blame.

Spending time and resources on possible problems lets the elite ignore and enable the real problems.

If you truly want something to worry about........worry about this. This is real cause it concerns you. Not other people.
    The latest academic research shows that 66% of fatal cancers are random. This means that your life span is truly a crap shoot. That means that life style and family history means nothing in those cases. It means that it can not be prevented NOR predicted. 66%.

And if that were true......are they sure of the other 33%? How? Are they sure?

Shouldn't that worry one more than a little lead. What in the world are we gonna do with that 66% cancer scourge?

The real problem is sugar in the water.......i.e........cool aid.

Mellisa_K likes this.
  20. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Iearned a pretty good living over most of a lifetime withe my electrronics skills I do belive I mentioned I had stoppedUsing my mouth.Unlike Rome before they fell, who liked the sweet taset lead oxide gave wine stored in lead caskets. Hindsight usually does work better for secondguessing Anyone who does serious electronic usually uses lead solder because it works much better to the point the military exempt from using silver solder, .I prefer knowledge over opinions Try making a car battery without lead.We are not there yet.

nsaspook, Mellisa_K and GopherT like this.