No one can answer-series/parallel resistor problems

itodala

Joined Oct 20, 2016
upload_2016-10-20_11-19-32.png

in each circuit figure 76 identify the series and parallel relationships of the resistors viewed from the source?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
So, which resistors are in series and which are in parallel? What have you learned about combining resistance values?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So is your title informing us that we are not allowed to answer it? :D

You need to show YOUR best attempt to solve YOUR homework. That is the starting point for our attempt to HELP you (as opposed to simply doing your homework FOR you).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What is required for two components to be in series?

What is required for two components to be in parallel?

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
is there some special relativity i'm not aware of as when viewed from system A the currents travel as if the resistors where connected in series and when the same circuit is viewed from system B the currents and/or the grid appears as if the resistors were connected in parallel

the authors of this kind of "home work" start owning me time to play a pathologist and figure out their specific brain fault

on a second thought i can even imagine such systems as when A containing the grid is stationary and B oscillates and/or rotates around the axis passing through the "current flow circle" then either in stationary or in differential the parts of a circuit current flow "redefines"

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
is there some special relativity i'm not aware of as when viewed from system A the currents travel as if the resistors where connected in series and when the same circuit is viewed from system B the currents and/or the grid appears as if the resistors were connected in parallel

the authors of this kind of "home work" start owning me time to play a pathologist and figure out their speciffic brainfault
Who said that they were the same circuit?

Perhaps they wouldn't "own you time" (whatever that means) if you considered that the question has two parts with two different, unrelated circuits and they are merely ask the student to identify which parts of each circuit are in parallel or series when viewed from the source in that circuit.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008

the authors of this kind of "home work" start owning me time to play a pathologist and figure out their speciffic brainfault
Are you saying R2 and R3 in part (a) are in series? I would be embarrassed.

John

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The "viewed from the source" portion is to resolve any ambiguities (albeit it often times only perceptual ambiguities) that come up and is more typically applicable when looking at superposition (including small/large signal models of circuits and Thevenin/Nortion equivalents).

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
other than that (i can convert it to full scale nonsense . . . maybe) . . . using the past spirit travel memories e.g. if you are a feature*('s spirit) you can't see yourself nor "compute over" coz as soon as you see you* you're not that(/there) anymore -- now attempting to give the right* insights . . .

? "viewed from the source" not "viewed from the source's view point" not "viewed as a source" (damn it) why to ask such a difficult questions . . .
? you can see your (time!!/) sync systems only -- ? see what = "the series and parallel relationships of the resistors" ? node network -- similar of being the tree? -- similar to water flow channels -- similar to conductors . . . i'm in series when the me passing the pathway infront of me and behind of me is sen so or in parallel when i see me there ... i don't remember being electron flow and parallel net (i guess...) buff . . . parallel particle flow in space is in data sets . . . remember field not the current!!! the field can track it's "range/body" back forth in time ... at different potentials - won't force the event to be able to remember one . . . re checking past systems and timelines . . .

. . . ok that wasn't asked anyway it's a conductor a crystal(solid metal if you whish) net ? seen from the source ?
you see it from the source pretty much the same as from computer game displaying you a semi transparent net of the grid and positioning the camera to some "center of the voltage source" ? the parallel nodes*** can be detected ... ? hmm . . . // for spirit you have to choose yourself (the path) always or you gonna be not yourself (e.g. super positioned to someones else time - later there might be difficulties tracking your . . . actual self down) . . . so the places where theres an alert of "going (becoming) wrong (you as other***)" are the parallel connections

however you have to "virtually" pass the net for such to pop out . . . likely you can see the spots from the source if you have previous experience on such -- and it's all about recognition of "the "structure***""

! Happy recognition day . . .

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello there,

Yes a rather unusual question.

It appears to me that in case 'a' both terminals of the source 'see' a series resistor, but in case 'b' the positive terminal sees a series resistor yet the negative terminal sees three parallel resistors.

This question may be a prelude to a more encompassing concept that comes later and uses these facts.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
other than that (i can convert it to full scale nonsense . . . maybe) . . . using the past spirit travel memories e.g. if you are a feature*('s spirit)you can't see yourself nor "compute over" coz as soon as you see you* you're not that(/there)
anymore -- now attempting to give the right* insights . . .

<SNIP>
Is there some point to this babble?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello there,

Yes a rather unusual question.

It appears to me that in case 'a' both terminals of the source 'see' a series resistor, but in case 'b' the positive terminal sees a series resistor yet the negative terminal sees three parallel resistors.

This question may be a prelude to a more encompassing concept that comes later and uses these facts.
As seen by R3 (in the first diagram), you have R2 in parallel with the series combination of the battery, R1 and R4. That description does not apply well to the case of what is seen by the battery.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
As seen by R3 (in the first diagram), you have R2 in parallel with the series combination of the battery, R1 and R4. That description does not apply well to the case of what is seen by the battery.
Hi,

I am not really sure what you are trying to say here. My explanation was merely an observation of what each battery terminal is connected to, either one resistor or more than one resistor, and if only one then i called it series and if more than one the parallel. That is similar to how we would view a battery that is actually connected in parallel with say three resistors that are all in parallel and also in parallel with the battery and no series connections of any resistors. So that would be four circuit elements in parallel.

However, i dont pretend to know exactly what the good professor wanted to know from the student, as i am taking guesses just like everyone else in the thread so far, as to what the whole point of this question might be.

For example, another possible answer is that the question was translated from another language and so the grammer got mixed up a little. This often happens with automatic software translation. The original question in the original language might have been asking simply for information about how each element is connected to the other elements, including the source. Of course this is another guess as we cant answer questions that dont provide enough information as to what it is we are being asked :)

This is one of the stranger questions so we just have to wait for clarification. That could come from the OP, the professor, or another student that was asked this same question in the past and has an idea about what was being asked. One of the things we dont know if it was not a langauge problem is what the next phase of the course would be teaching. As i was saying it may be just the beginning of a larger concept that teaches something more valuable and that this kind of thinking helps get to that place in the analysis.

Another guess, some sort of typo? :)
How about a strong autocorrect turned on? :)

I would be interested in hearing other guesses too, if they are reasonable of course.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is one of the stranger questions so we just have to wait for clarification.
What is so strange about it?

In the left diagram, as seen by the source, R1 and R4 are in series with the parallel combination of R2 and R3. Done. Move on.