Nixie tube speed controller display

Squiffything

Joined Feb 18, 2016
I had considered the bearing loading however the size of the magnets I'll be using are very tiny and have little weight. I had however thought using two or four to equalise the weight across the platter and this would be fairly easy to accurately position. It would also even up the loading. My comment above about adjusting the coding to take into account of the additional magnets wouldn't be too much to do.

Any views on the coding?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm thinking four 33.33 45.00 and 78.00 are the standard speeds the controller would aim for and be adjustable to.
The cheat's easy way is to use PLL speed control, just display the speed its supposed to be and invert the lock output to drive an error warning indicator.

Squiffything

Joined Feb 18, 2016
The speed control is sorted using a regulated power supply system. I could leave it as that but I want to show the speed and from that adjust accordingly. I could also go the simple route and leave it as an led display but I want the look I'm after and that is the nixies.

Turntables are old school technology. The quality of music from a well setup system and good condition vinyl far exceeds that of CDs and digital. I want this little project to blend in with the ethos of vinyl and give the pleasure of sitting down listening to the music and seeing the soft warm glow of the tubes. I can go and buy a ready made tachometer and speed control but it would be a couple of little black boxes with blue led's and it's not my thing.

Thanks for the suggestion though it is appreciated.

Squiffything

Joined Feb 18, 2016
I understand what you are trying to do, and agree with most of it But "far exceeds" ? Sorry, not supported by fact.

ak
Ok, in my opinion and in my enjoyment of my music the vinyl that I have far exceeds in sound quality the cd's and mp3's that I have. It's the way it's produced, recorded, not messed around with. It's the raw sound without engineers taking out the slight imperfections it's not the clinical 'cleaned up' sound that cd's produced and that's why I like it. A very personal choice but hey that's my choice. Meh I'm no science bod I'm me :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I understand what you are trying to do, and agree with most of it But "far exceeds" ? Sorry, not supported by fact.

ak
I think it would be nice for you to list some low loss compression formats and where they are used in commercially available (retail stores) digital reproductions. Some of the MP3's are really awful. It seems like the layering of the sound is missing. It's all a single surface you are listening to. There is no interweaving of the instruments, the kind where you can listen to a recording several times, tracking a different instruments through the music.

I've heard of, "lossless" digitizing, but I'm not so much of a music connoisseur that I can name them.