NiMH battery problem

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
I got out my camera after 2 years of sitting idle and recharged the NiMH batteries with the charger I bought with them. After 6 hours of charging, the lights were still red. Since I know that some chargers decrease the current after a set period of time, I changed the batteries to another set and plugged the charger back in. I also charged one set for a second time, but the lights remained red. I put the batteries in the camera and set the time and date. When I went to take a picture, there was not enough charge in the batteries to turn on the camera. :eek:
Are these batteries worthless and I need to buy another set, or would I be able to resurrect the batteries?

eKretz

Joined Apr 21, 2013
Some people have had success doing the "boosting" trick with NiMH batts, google it. If they have gone to zero or reversed voltage it can help make them at least usable, but they won't last as long as they should.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
eKretz is probably right - the batteries have self discharged to unusable levels. I've never heard of boosting a battery before. I'd just buy new ones - they're less than 10 bucks for a 4 pack... and I'd be sure to use them in a remote control or something at the very least.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
What a annoyance!
There are actually 4 symbols about how to load the batteries. On the metal tab that connects the ends of the batteries are the + and - symbols (which are not easily seen) and below them on the plastic case are the opposite polarity (which are easily seen). I think it indicates what end is to be inserted into the camera.
I must have loaded the batteries incorrectly :eek: since I can get the camera to work (if I'm careful).

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I got out my camera after 2 years of sitting idle and recharged the NiMH batteries with the charger I bought with them. After 6 hours of charging, the lights were still red. Since I know that some chargers decrease the current after a set period of time, I changed the batteries to another set and plugged the charger back in. I also charged one set for a second time, but the lights remained red. I put the batteries in the camera and set the time and date. When I went to take a picture, there was not enough charge in the batteries to turn on the camera. :eek:
Are these batteries worthless and I need to buy another set, or would I be able to resurrect the batteries?
They probably have internal shorts. You can maybe zap them to take a charge but they will always be hosed. Ni batteries die if left uncharged.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
I've managed to successfully resurrect almost 10 years unused Nimh and Nicd batteries by a series of 6-7 Full charge/discharge cycles but it sounds as If there is some problem with your batteries where they won't even charge up to full so I'm guessing it's time to dig them a grave.