NiMH battery charge

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If I'm interpreting the icon correctly, the indicator light apparently shows the charger is trickle charging the battery i.e at a very low current. How have you decided that the battery is not getting charged?

Slmn6817

Joined Jun 14, 2021
If I'm interpreting the icon correctly, the indicator light apparently shows the charger is trickle charging the battery i.e at a very low current. How have you decided that the battery is not getting charged?
Thanks
I kept the battery for very long time charging more than 6 hrs and tested it and no charger at all

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
As Crutschow asked, what is the battery voltage (with no load connected other than your meter) as measured by your meter?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Some smart chargers will not try to charge if they do not detect a minimum battery voltage.
You might try to charge the batteries with a power supply and a resistor in series to get the desired current (about a half amp), until the battery voltage comes up to near its nominal value, then connect the charger.

Last edited:

Slmn6817

Joined Jun 14, 2021
Some smart chargers will not try to charge if they do not detect a minimum battery voltage.
You might try to charge the batteries with a power supply and a resistor in series to get the desired current (about a half amp), until the battery voltage comes up to near its nominal value, then connect the charger.
Not very clear to me what to do I will do some search to figure out ,thank you for your replies

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
If i were you i would probably send the entire junk load back.
IF you buy a new charger with new batteries and it doesnt charge, then something is wrong so send it back and ask for a new set. It's that simple. If you try to troubleshoot you may end up with batteries that are defective anyway so it might appear that you got it working but then a week from now it doesnt seem to work again.

When you connect the charger and make sure it is plugged into the right power source, the battery voltage should rise. If it does not start to rise then there is something wrong. The charger could be bad or the battery cells could be bad. Bad cells will sometimes charge but then exhibit extreme self discharge so you'd havew to check that too. A question tht comes to mind is are the modern NiMH cells or old style. The new ones have very low self discharge but the old ones might self discharge in a couple weeks ... very big difference.
Eneloop NiMH cells work quite well.

Of all the battery types i have used in the past Eneloops are best when you need NiMH, but Li-ion seem to beat every other type when you can use them although they are also the most dangerous so you have to be aware of the problems that can come up. One is thermal runaway with battery packs, which led to a UPS flight crashing due to 500 pounds of Li-ion cells where some or all started burning and the smoke filled the cockpit so the pilots could not even see the controls. The gas emitted from them while burning is also very toxic i think it is fluorine gas.

Last edited: