Nichrome wire- connections

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there. Welcome to AAC?
:)
. I need to connect the wire to the female connector and then finally connect to a PCB board. Can you suggest any connectors that works for very small diameter of about 0.0007in?
Bare Diameter
catalog#761000=0.0007" in
catalog#762000=0.002" in
I am confused!
You wish two female connectors for two different diameters nichrome wires?
Also. Do you have two male connectors mounted on the PCB?

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Hi

This is incredibly tiny gauge wire and I think it is intended to be rivetted/screwed or welded. I have no idea how easily it would strain but I assume it would easily yield. Is it possible to securely mount the terminations to a secure, insulated part of the heating coil (frame of some sort) and then run copper to a connector? Perhaps use a terminal block or rivets/crimps to interface the Nichrome and copper. This would also avoid your connector heating from the nichrome. I have not seen crimps for gauges this small before so if you use them they will need packing out.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
An alternative, possibly, is to form several short length folds in the nichrome wire end termination, of maybe 1/4" to 1/2" , and then use crimp type connectors to securely attach the folded nichrome ends to an appropriate gauge of standard stranded copper wire. The stranded copper wire gauge size should be sufficiently large enough to safely handle the current going through the nichrome resistance section. This would depend on whether the nichrome wire is actually foldable or not. If there is any flexibility in the nichrome wire, try just wrapping it around the stranded copper wire.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Did you look at the standoffs? You twist the supply and nichrome wire together and wrap a couple times around the machine screw that threads into the standoff to secure the wires. The bottom of the standoff is secured by another machine screw through a mounting plate or PCB. Fastening it to a plate prevents motion due to the expansion and contraction of the wire as it heats and cools. The threading in the standoff does NOT go through the standoff preventing the retaining and mounting screws from being close enough for arc over to occur. The clamping action of the screw can be improved by a flat washer. Yes, they will get hot, which is why the standoffs are ceramic. Just what exactly are you trying to do with the nichrome wire? If only heating, a heating element would be more practical.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Formvar-Insulated Nichrome Wire

The application of a bit of sandpaper to the cut ends usually takes care of the insulation same as magnet wire, I would think. Not familiar with Formvar and in fact not familiar with any insulated nichrome wire... Why would you insulate nichrome?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Something we used to "burnish" the oxidation off edge connectors on cards was a No. 2 pencil eraser or a "Ruby Red" ink eraser. Much handier than 400-800 grit emery cloth and found around most desks.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Typical to use a "BIC" lighter to thermal strip magnet wire but not sure about insulated nichrome. Maybe a quick call or email to the mfg. for an answer.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Nichrome wire is not insulated, at least in my experience.
This particular lot apparently is; with Formvar, which has a melting point of 1083C. Given the 1400C melting point of nichrome, burning the insulation off without melting the wire core could be a bit tricky.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
As the wire diameter seems impractically small, I'm curious as to why such a fine gauge is being used (and appalled by the $185 per 150ft price!)