Nice little diode find

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
How could I turn this down?:D

Pulled out of a pile of misc. junk at 7Rivers Surplus this morning.

1700piv
240A

Full 3phase bridge.

Looks like it works too.

All the diodes check .42 forward on diode test function.

The next guy that wants a big battery charger fixed will get a hot rod.:eek:

http://ixapps.ixys.com/DataSheet/VUO190-16NO7.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Similar luck: 12 volt, 150 watt, toroid transformers, at the surplus store for $7.50.
Four of them in a fan cooled tool box with a big bridge rectifier and I have a 50 amp battery charger.

Small problem...you can't throw 50 amps into a car battery for more than a few minutes without warping its insides, but it makes a great emergency starter. Three minutes of this thing applied to a dead battery and you can start a car.:p

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
The voltage may be low enough to limit charge current. Yet the big boost would be there.:)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You have the packrat gene as bad as I do. I got a reel of 1N4007 diodes a couple of years ago for a $1. I'll be leaving a lot of them at my estate sale when my time comes.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
My brothers business.;)

I get free picking for fixing his junk.:D (now that I'm retired)
He just pulled an electric lift inside for repairs.

View from my back window:
Looking over my back yard (geo loop field) and between the two pole buildings. The far building complex is 7Rivers.

I even have a private road for the golf cart. To the left. Out of field of view.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No. The best I ever did was to get an auto winder for my SLR camera in exchange for removing a Styrofoam packing worm from the condensor fan blade in a refrigerator. :D