Newbie question before purchasing a vacuum sensor

Alice24

Joined Apr 22, 2011
Hi guys,
So I'd like to purchase this sensor: https://www.festo.com/cat/en-il_il/products_SPAN?CurrentPartNo=8035553 in order to measure vacuum.

It's just unclear to me, in the electrical connections; what difference does it make if I pick "PN PNP or NPN" or the second option which is "PNLK PNP or NPN or IO-Link" ? I'm not gonna use a switch option but I'd like to know what it means if I pick one and not the other.

Furthermore, how can it even act as a switch if only has 1 pneumatic connection?

Last edited:

Alice24

Joined Apr 22, 2011
I did try google, and your link doesn't really answer much; it mentions nothing about IO-Link or PNLK; in addition the title is about 3 wires not 4 wires.

More importantly, don't they sell vacuum sensors without that PNP/NPN connection? What if I don't wanna use a PLC? What if I just want it to measure vacuum?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It's just unclear to me, in the electrical connections; what difference does it make if I pick "PN PNP or NPN" or the second option which is "PNLK PNP or NPN or IO-Link" ? I'm not gonna use a switch option but I'd like to know what it means if I pick one and not the other.
It depends on the device you are interfacing the sensor with, here is an article on sinking and sourcing.
That sensor uses IO-Link for connection to the receiving device.
Max.

Attachments