Newbie looking for push-pull SPDT switch

toucanf16

Joined Dec 24, 2022
Thanks to those who helped with my previous post. Remember, I’m new and not an expert like everyone else here, so go easy on me.
I’m looking for a push-pull SPDT switch. Pushed in energizes one circuit and pulled out powers a separate circuit. It needs to be break before make and I’d like a form factor suitable the a car dashboard where I can install a custom knob. I’ve scoured the web and am coming up short.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A cheap push-pull slide switch issimple untilo you want one suitable for automotive installation.
I suggest an automotive aftermarket parts catalog like J C Whittney or Warshawsky, if either of them are still around.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Your trouble is that those switches are designed for headlights.

OFF-PARK-HEADLIGHTS, so OFF-ON-ON

If you can tolerate the common ground, maybe you could put a sleeve on the shaft that won’t allow it to go into the OFF position.

toucanf16

Joined Dec 24, 2022
Your trouble is that those switches are designed for headlights.

OFF-PARK-HEADLIGHTS, so OFF-ON-ON

If you can tolerate the common ground, maybe you could put a sleeve on the shaft that won’t allow it to go into the OFF position.
Thanks, it’s not the perfect solution, but I may have to resort to that option.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I did not see any reference to how much current the switch must carry and switch, That will affect the choice.
One other option is a simple on/off switch controlling a SPDT relay, such as those automotive black cube relays. That will allow choosing from a wide range of switches. The down side is that the relay will draw some current when it is operated. If the engine will be running when the switch is active then that should not be a problem.