Newbie Electrical questions about 3000w inverter Installation.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dorfmeister Studios, May 31, 2019.

  1. Dorfmeister Studios

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 31, 2019
    2
    0
    I just bought a 3000w inverter for portable use. The idea was to set it up in random locations for short DJ promo videos - in a field, on the beach etc. I had it connected to the battery yesterday and worked ok but when everything was disconnected and packed away the red and black wires from the inverter touched and cracked a spark leaving a mark on the metal connectors.

    My question is how can I stop that.... and / or - is that even bad? Would grounding the chassis stop those sparks happening if the wires touch when disconnected? I'm a bit worried about that residual charge left there when it's all in the box being moved about so is there a good way of releasing that charge safely after you disconnect everything so it's not gonna spark if they touch in transit?
     
  2. dendad

    Distinguished Member

    Feb 20, 2016
    2,829
    764
    It was probably just the input capacitors holding charge. If you are worried, you can put each battery clamp in a plastic bag for insulation.
    Or, leave it off the battery for a time and usually the caps will discharge.
    Or, discharge it through a resistance.
     
  3. Dorfmeister Studios

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 31, 2019
    2
    0
    Great thanks! If it's something that discharges naturally then i'll go with the plastic sheath option probably. When you say through a resistance is that a specific bit of equipment? Or can you sort of whack them on a grounded peg or something to discharge them that way?
     
  4. dendad

    Distinguished Member

    Feb 20, 2016
    2,829
    764
    A 12V or 24V festoon lamp is an easy "resistor" to get, but I would think it will self discharge in a min or two.
     
  5. MisterBill2

    Distinguished Member

    Jan 23, 2018
    3,458
    680
    An indicator lamp across the power input is a very good idea, not only to discharge the input cap but also as a reminder that the power is connected.
     
    dendad and narkeleptk like this.
Loading...