New Toy, An Iwatsu SS-5702

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The trick is, unlike a multimeter, the probe ground is Earth Ground. Once you've figured that one out the rest will come... First thing you will need are some probes. @ 20MHz some 100MHz probes or even 60MHz probes will be fine. You can cut the middleman out by buying from AliX or if in a hurry and willing to pay the middleman then Amazon will get them to you quickly.

1618892964536.png

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
It looks like a pretty standard analog scope. There should be some good online tutorials that would apply.

I kind of miss my analog scope, the DSO can be quite frustrating at times.

Bob
I was initially shocked by the awful appearance of my Owon's display (noise and artifacts). They were quickly compensated when its memory capability allowed to develop from scratch, software for a PIC to decode / control a PS2 mouse. Made things extremely easy.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It looks like a pretty standard analog scope. There should be some good online tutorials that would apply.

I kind of miss my analog scope, the DSO can be quite frustrating at times.

Bob
The first scope I owned was a Leader, the LBO-310A. It has a bandwidth of 4MHz and may be the lead intimidating scope ever. I still have it somewhere. I should track it down...

1618935998087.png

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
As a Ch. Officer, flying with our crew from Argentina to Piraeus to take over a tanker vessel, we had a night stop in Copenhagen.

I was lucky to have one electronic shop quite close to our hotel so I could buy my brand new 10-MHz TRIO scope. The last day in Piraeus, for 20 minutes, I almost had to leave it in the Customs because of the so many "difficulties" they found to put it on board. (Bureaucracy and bribe, both words start with the same letter). Not only Kafka...

When I learnt to program more or less judiciously PIC micros I managed to display text on the screen.

NRR NO RASTER RON.JPG

When I learnt to trigger the Z axis at will things went much better.

St George.JPG

t_glover

Joined Mar 16, 2021
The probes arrived today and I powered up the scope and hooked them to the
calibration terminal with them both set to 10x and after playing around a bit I
was able to get a wave form on channel 1 but channel 2 looks like there may
be a problem. It might be just my lack of knowledge though. Here is a picture
of what I have. I swapped the probes so its not the probes.

IMG_2173.JPG

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No big deal. I am sure it is something simple that can be fixed.

Set CH1 and CH2 controls to the same setting. Tell us the setting on the VOLTS/DIV and TIME/DIV knobs.
Work the AC-GND-DC switch on CH2 back and forth.
Set AC-GND-DC to DC on both channels.

Learn how to set the probe frequency compensation (though you said that you already swapped probes).

t_glover

Joined Mar 16, 2021
CH1 and CH2 are set to 5mV
the VOLTS/DIV is set to 5mV as well
TIME/DIV is set to 0.5 mSEC
I have tried every switch in every combination.
I also adjusted the probe frequency compensation as well.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
With x10 probe and VOLTS/DIV set to 5mV we should be reading 50mV/div.
Hence I am seeing CH1 amplitude to be about 1.5 divisions = 75mV which is about x4 lower than 0.3V CAL OUT.

What does CH1 look like on DC vs AC? Does it look the same?

Download the SS-5702 Service Manual off the internet. We will be looking at the CH1 and CH2 input attenuation section for faults. CH2 is showing AC coupling (high-pass filter) with an RC time-constant of about 100μs, i.e. you have lost straight through DC coupling.

Set both CH1 and CH2 AC-GND-DC to GND and adjust the trace to some horizontal reference lines on the grid so that we know where is the 0V reference. Then set AC-GND-DC to DC and show us the actual DC levels with respect to GND.

IWATSU SS-5702A Input.jpg