New Toy, An Iwatsu SS-5702

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As you can observe, CH1 goes between 0V and 75mV according to your settings.

CH2 is between -30mV and +30mV. Hence it is AC coupled.
I suspect that you have lost connection in the AC-GND-DC switching somewhere.
You will have to open the scope and start hunting around while using CH1 as a working scope.
We are here to guide you.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
As you can observe, CH1 goes between 0V and 75mV according to your settings.

CH2 is between -30mV and +30mV. Hence it is AC coupled.
I suspect that you have lost connection in the AC-GND-DC switching somewhere.
You will have to open the scope and start hunting around while using CH1 as a working scope.
We are here to guide you.
Just a reminder THERE IS HIGH VOLTAGE INSIDE THAT BOX. Don't touch anything that looks rubbery or is covered with a lot of fine, dark dust. Please be careful and stay safe.

t_glover

Joined Mar 16, 2021
With x10 probe and VOLTS/DIV set to 5mV we should be reading 50mV/div.
Hence I am seeing CH1 amplitude to be about 1.5 divisions = 75mV which is about x4 lower than 0.3V CAL OUT.

What does CH1 look like on DC vs AC? Does it look the same?

Download the SS-5702 Service Manual off the internet. We will be looking at the CH1 and CH2 input attenuation section for faults. CH2 is showing AC coupling (high-pass filter) with an RC time-constant of about 100μs, i.e. you have lost straight through DC coupling.

Set both CH1 and CH2 AC-GND-DC to GND and adjust the trace to some horizontal reference lines on the grid so that we know where is the 0V reference. Then set AC-GND-DC to DC and show us the actual DC levels with respect to GND.

View attachment 236916
Where did you find the manual? I downloaded a copy buy it was scanned to a PDF and most of the schematics are cut off on the edges.

Thanks!
Terry

t_glover

Joined Mar 16, 2021
I used my benchtop power supply set to 1 and 10 volts.
The trace was exactly on the line on the center of the screen.
The volts on the scope set to 0.5v
1 Volt
1 Volt.JPG

10 volts
10 Volt.JPG

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Is channel 2 set to inverted ? I am asking this as channel 2 looks like a differentiated version of an inverted channel 1 waveform.
I agree with Yaakov in using channel 1 to trace the path through the channel 2 amplifier.

Les.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is channel 2 set to inverted ? I am asking this as channel 2 looks like a differentiated version of an inverted channel 1 waveform.
I agree with Yaakov in using channel 1 to trace the path through the channel 2 amplifier.

Les.
Good eye. I did not notice that. Push CH2 POLARITY to NORM.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are some good closeups here. This is the kind of photo resolution that would be nice.
Notice the CH1 VOLTS/DIV rotary switch is broken.

The layout of CH1 and CH2 are identical.
CH1 components are numbered 0xx and CH2 are 1xx. For example, R064/R164, C012/C112.
Let's get some closeups of both CH1 and CH2 so that we can have different viewing perspectives.

http://www.noobowsystems.org/backtolife/ss-5702/ss-5702.html

SS-5702 202009252240-broken rotary switch-1920-1080.jpg

t_glover

Joined Mar 16, 2021
Thanks everyone for your help. I will get some pictures of the circuit board in the next couple days. I have a tremendous amount on the go right now.
This morning while I was trying a few things I noticed that all of a sudden I had the same wave form
from the calibration output on both channels but the channel 2 was reading a way higher voltage.
Then all of a sudden the voltage dropped to be close to the same as CH1. If I very gently touch the AC/GND/DC switch on channel 2 the waveform goes back to the one pictured in post 21 .
I suspect there are some problems with the contacts on the switch.
Here is a picture of what I have now. Voltage is set to 5mv on both channels.
The top pair are CH1 and the bottom are CH2.
How do I go about cleaning all the contacts on the switches.

Thanks!
Terry
IMG_2180.JPG

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In that case, ignore what I have posted and don't bother with taking more photos.
You have identified the problem with the CH2 AC-GND-DC switch.
Open the unit and inject or spray isopropyl alcohol on to the switch contacts and work the switch while the alcohol has not yet evaporated.
You should have your problem solved.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
In that case, ignore what I have posted and don't bother with taking more photos.
You have identified the problem with the CH2 AC-GND-DC switch.
Open the unit and inject or spray isopropyl alcohol on to the switch contacts and work the switch while the alcohol has not yet evaporated.
You should have your problem solved.
I would vote for investing some Deoxit contact cleaner (https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU) which is very good and will help with the maintenance of good connections. Don't spray it all over the inside, just on the contacts of the wafer switches, then operate them several times. This is really good stiff in my experience. It's not just cleaner, it has a contact enhancer in it. It's like Stabilant ut much cheaper.

1619593580729.png

t_glover

Joined Mar 16, 2021
I was going to ask about Deoxit and if it would be safe to use in this application.
I will see if I can get some today. Where I used to work before retirement
used to keep it in stock.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I was going to ask about Deoxit and if it would be safe to use in this application.
I will see if I can get some today. Where I used to work before retirement
used to keep it in stock.
It’s safe but it purposely leaves a film behind so apply it only to the contacts and wipe it off other stuff if it gets there. The film isn’t harmful but it can attract dust and make a mess