New to this... looking for some hardware recommendation...

Boyd.Ako

Joined Dec 1, 2019
I'm a GNU Linux computer sys admin type of guy. I was wondering if anybody would have any recommendations on digital audio INPUT devices (i.e. toslink/SPIDF; preferably NOT a PCI card.

Goal: I'm looking to experimenting on manipulating digital audio feeds. Kind of like a software based digital audio mixer that interacts with surround sound types of audio. For example merging 5.1 and 7.1 audio through some sort of conversion to what ever the designated audio output would be; i.e. stereo or 5.1.

I haven't been able to find any type of "non-professional" audio hardware that would allow you play multiple digital audio sources through one sound system.

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
You can get USB connected devices. From simple USB dongles with 1 mic channel up to expensive things like this.
Making it work on Linux is often difficult but might be easier for you!
Software: Audacity (of course) and DAW like Tracktion, ReNoise, etc.

Boyd.Ako

Joined Dec 1, 2019
As for the software, there are special audio supporting distro's around.
I'm aware on the software side. I'm looking for specific hardware recommendations.

You can get USB connected devices. From simple USB dongles with 1 mic channel up to expensive things like this.
Making it work on Linux is often difficult but might be easier for you!
Software: Audacity (of course) and DAW like Tracktion, ReNoise, etc.
Anything specific? I can't really find USB dongles that do optical in. I've only found ones that do optical out. Hopefully less that $200 an input.
As for software, those are mainly to do recording input. I'm thinking of checking out stuff like ALSA first.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You take this
UsbSound.png
And Add one of these too it
recFiber.png

Which im working on the adding part i want to have a play with fiber cables and sound card myself
They even have a board made that using a uC but what would be the fun in that.

Boyd.Ako

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Which im working on the adding part i want to have a play with fiber cables and sound card myself
They even have a board made that using a uC but what would be the fun in that.
Care to be a tad more specific? I'm not sure what that part is.