New to the site- Question about making a paddle shifter for my car

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That would be your call. It could use the up and down inputs to count and display the selected gear, or just run the four output lines from the 40192 to a 4511.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
The CD40110 does not have direct outputs from the counter, so you would have to decode your solenoid drive signals from the 7-segment outputs. It's unfortunate, because a Johnson counter would not even require any decoding to get the shift sequence.
This is the only up/down Johnson counter I've seen, and it is a bear to take a normal Johnson counter and turn it into up/down.

dmc0162

Joined Dec 13, 2007
That would be your call. It could use the up and down inputs to count and display the selected gear, or just run the four output lines from the 40192 to a 4511.
Oh, I see. Alright it looks like I am going to use the 40192 and then just get the 4511 to decode it for the 7 segment. Thanks again guys! I am probably going to order all of my components from mouser today and hopefully have it soon!

What is the best way to assemble this circuit besides a printed circuit board? I was going to try a PC board from radio shack, will that possibly work well? Thanks

-Joe

dmc0162

Joined Dec 13, 2007
Alright, well I got most of the stuff in the mail today to start building the circuit. The only thing I have a question about is the Coto 8L01 relays. This is what they look like: (the look the same on the other side too)

So what pins would go where for the schematic I am using?

Here is the schematic...the relays are K1 and K2.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In the photo you posted, there is a circle in the right hand corner of the top of the relay IC. See it? That's above Pin 1.

Find the datasheet for your relays; the datasheet will tell you what the internal schematic is. It'll be duck soup from there ;)

dmc0162

Joined Dec 13, 2007
In the photo you posted, there is a circle in the right hand corner of the top of the relay IC. See it? That's above Pin 1.

Find the datasheet for your relays; the datasheet will tell you what the internal schematic is. It'll be duck soup from there ;)
Alright I found the datasheet:
http://www.cotorelay.com/8L.pdf

I still am a little confused... Where is the 12v input for it? The output? Which pins? Sorry for the questions, I am still learning:D

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
After the table of parameters, look for the first box following "Top view". It shows the coil connected to pins 2 & 6 (standard for DIP relays). Pins 1 and 14 are connected, as are pins 7 & 8. With 12 VDC applied to either pin 2 or 6, and the other to ground, the relay contacts will close, connecting pin 1(14) to pin 8(9).

dmc0162

Joined Dec 13, 2007
Alright, well I got all the stuff today.

The cd4081 IC chip is extremely small. Much smaller than the others. Is there some kind of socket this can fit into to make it the same size pins as the others?

dmc0162

Joined Dec 13, 2007
Alright, well I got all the stuff today.

The cd4081 IC chip is extremely small. Much smaller than the others. Is there some kind of socket this can fit into to make it the same size pins as the others?
Nevermind guys, I figured it out. I ordered the wrong package size. I ordered the cd4081BM... The M suffix is the small chip... I reordered the cd4081BE which is the size I need.

dmc0162

Joined Dec 13, 2007
I want to bring this back from the dead.

I never ended up finishing building the circuit that was posted here for me. I have a question though. Is there any way that I can do what I want to do here using simpler parts, like radioshack stuff?

I don't need the 7 segment display portion anymore, so that should make it easier. All I need to do is:

This is going to control the shifts in my car, so all of this will be operating off a 12v system.

I need to control my shifts using two momentary switches, one for UPSHIFT, one for DOWNSHIFT, kind of like paddle shifters except with momentary switches instead.

Now, in order for the car to shift gears, the transmission just needs to operate two solenoids inside the transmission. There is solenoid A and solenoid B. Different combinations of the solenoids being powered make the gears shift.

Here is a diagram of which solenoids need to be on for which gears:

Solenoid: A B

1st gear ON ON

2nd gear OFF ON

3rd gear OFF OFF

4th gear ON OFF

So does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this with just radioshack parts? I was thinking relays can do this, but I am not sure how exactly. Let me know if this is possible to do using only 2 momentary switches. I guess that the switches will need to be connected to some kind of latching circuit to do this, but can it be done using simple parts?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It would be possible to build such a thing from only parts available at Radio Shack, but you really wouldn't want to do that; as you would have to use quite a few transistors, diodes and resistors to build the logic circuitry from discrete components. And no, I won't draw it out for you; it would take far too much time.

If you want to take a stab at it, here are some logic gates built from discrete components:
http://www.4qdtec.com/dlc.html

Arguably, one of the simplest ways to do your project would be to use a microcontroller; basically then all you would need would be a voltage regulator, a couple of transistors or MOSFETs to switch your relay's coils, and de-bouncing circuitry for your switches. However, the learning curve for programming the microcontroller could be fairly steep, and you may have to build or buy a programming board/interface.