New To Me Type Connector Anyone Familiar With It?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Starting to wire my new Generac Genset replacing the old one. The wiring for the auto transfer switch uses a connector which is new to me. I like the old style using #6 screws and ring terminals but alas what we see below is what I have. There are a few of these in there. The top image is one such connector. They have plastic tabs which push in and are labeled with a little + sign which has nothing to do with any polarities, just how they look. The lower image shows the same connector with one of the tabs removed.

Conn 1.png

Conn 2.png

With the tab removed I still can't see well enough to see what's going on. Each individual terminal can accommodate two wires in the above there are three wires with six holes. I need to exit on the right side and I tried simply poking the stripped and un stripped recommended AWG 18 wires without any success. This style is a new animal to me and to further complicate things these terminal strips are not quite easily accessible. I don't bend as well as I once did and you need to be just short of a contortionist to work on them. Has anyone seen and worked with these? The tabs simply press in and pull out using one's finger nails.

Many thanks in advance to anyone with a clue of what I am looking at. :)

Ron

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This looks like it:
upload_2018-7-25_0-22-53.png

http://apelectric.com/generator-par...nics/generac-guardian-0d7393r-terminal-block/

My guess is that it is a push in connector with some sort of retention spring -- much like similar Omron and Wago connectors. I don' like them for household wiring. Also, your picture looks like the wires have a ferrule crimped on them before installation. Ferrules seem to be optional for Omron and Wago terminal blocks probably depending on how stiff the wire is.

I couldn't find what the little plastic cover does. Maybe it is to help retention or allow access to the spring for removal?

new to me too. best guess based on:

http://www.wago.us/media/us/collection/brochures/60346539.pdf#page=8

which is a cage clamp with a small hole to release the wire. So, I'll bet if you use a solid or ferrulled wire you just push and it makes contact.

The tricky part is getting the wire out.

Note that you have 3 small holes with a tiny piece of metal showing. That may be the release mechanism. Try a nail or maybe a chamfered hex key that exactly fits.

Buy a couple and cannibalize. Here https://www.m-and-d.com/GEN-0D7393R.html is a where to buy.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This looks like it:
View attachment 156859

http://apelectric.com/generator-par...nics/generac-guardian-0d7393r-terminal-block/

My guess is that it is a push in connector with some sort of retention spring -- much like similar Omron and Wago connectors. I don' like them for household wiring. Also, your picture looks like the wires have a ferrule crimped on them before installation. Ferrules seem to be optional for Omron and Wago terminal blocks probably depending on how stiff the wire is.

I couldn't find what the little plastic cover does. Maybe it is to help retention or allow access to the spring for removal?
That was it. I can't believe these things kicked my butt for a few days. They allow being pushed in, spring loaded to a small detente and when pushed in you can slip the wire in, release and that's it. I used a small blade screwdriver to do it. When I had the tabs out I never noticed the small springs in there. Also, yes, the existing wires look to have a ferrule on them but I don't think I need them. On and off these things kicked my butt. All I need to do now is connect the control wires and move the gen-set to the pad I poured. I have awning guys coming today to put an awning on the front door and plan to get a quote to place an awning over the generator & air conditioner units. I should have this thing online in a dew days. Then I'll look at the old unit which failed.

Many, Many Thanks

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Your going to have to make a picture. I'm still confused. Do they kinda pop up on an angle?
The little tabs with the Plus Sign (+) go straight up and down and to remove one it's like my first post. Well, I kept removing them and trying to push a wire in. All that ever accomplished was frustration. :) The idea is when you push them in they hit a stop. Then when you push harder (I used a screwdriver in the slot) they push down more under the force of a spring loading them. The wires slip right in on the sides. The generator itself is a V Twin about 30 HP natural gas or LPG fueled with some vibration but not much and where the connectors are there is really no vibration. The connectors give a nice positive bite on the wires as I gave each a tug. These little connectors literally kicked my butt for about two days on and off as I did other things.

The old generator I did not use a pad but for this one I poured a small pad with about 300 pounds of quickcrete which came out nice. Here is a picture of the old generator and AC.
Old Gen and AC.png

That picture is about 10 years old. The yard is now fully fenced and an awning is going to go over the new generator and the AC just for a little weather protection. The new unit looks about the same as the old.

Ron