New Rebuild-New OS

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
The other day I picked up a Sony Vaio VGN-Nn365E for $3. I know its old and doesn't have much computing power. But I only use it for basic things . Stock it came with Vista 32bit and I installed Win 7 Ultimate 32bit.. So after a couple of years of listening to @joeyd999 whine how Win suck. I would like to try linux and would like some help picking one to try.. The last free OS I tried was back in the 90's with Ubuntu and switched back to windows later down the road .. I was looking to try Black Lab but wanted some suggestions first..

Laptop specs
2.0ghz Dual core Intel
Installed 2gb of ram but can only handle 2.99gb of ram

Purpose
Basic internet( YouTube,E-mails, Forums)
LibraOffice plus Pdf
Pcb Design Software( I would like to stay with Diptrace )

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Little Update
I tried to use the Live DVD setup to try out the OS . Well my laptop for what reason doesn't want to load the Live DVD. I changed the loading to cd-rom but still doesn't work. But I put it in my big rig it ran beautiful and seems like an older version of Windows like XP or 98.. The Big Rig will not get linux as I game too much and laptop might get it if I can get use to it and have it run properly without messing anything up lol.. Also do you have any good guides to using Linux Mint ??

Thanks
Again

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Oh I used image burn to burn the iso.. But found that when using image burn that use the lowest cd rom speed to get it just right.

Got a spare USB flash drive lying around? Try to boot from that.
Yeah I have a 4gb usb laying around some where and will try that when I get home.
Will update you on the progress
In this case, Google really is your friend. All questions have been asked -- and answered.

Aside from that, if there are specific tasks or questions you have in mind, I'll help.
Ok thank you very much
Oh! Make sure you install the restricted codecs. These don't come preinstalled because they are proprietary and not released under the GNU license.

Open a terminal window and type:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
Ok Thanks

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Also what do I need to play DVDs through linux. Do you have suggestions for some kind of Antivirus or anti malware?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Sorry my laptop kept deleting my reply when I missed typed and then decided to post just q lol..
The Sony laptop is now dead after the keyboard shorted out the MB and now I have a couple parts that can be put up for sale and a couple 18650 cells like I need anymore lol..So now I installed linux mint on my HP laptop with Win10..I managed to fully upgraded the OS and installed ClamAV and ran full scan.. I tried to install Eagle Cad but for some reason it won't and I managed to download it but need more help.. Could you suggest a book or manual/PDF for a newbie guide on using linux?? Oh I wrote this on linux mint lol..