New PIC Companion Book To Microchip Documentation

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Okay. The idea is to write a companion for the Microchip Sample files for let's say the Curiosity board.

Add a little human touch like the old David Benson and Chuck Hellebuyck PIC books.

Some of the things that are in the Microchip documentation are just dumbfounding.

In Developer's Help they have just automaton like instructions under 'Troubleshooting'.

That just repeat the same instructions that didn't work the first time so how does it make a difference this time?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Okay. The idea is to write a companion for the Microchip Sample files for let's say the Curiosity board.

Add a little human touch like the old David Benson and Chuck Hellebuyck PIC books.

Some of the things that are in the Microchip documentation are just dumbfounding.

In Developer's Help they have just automaton like instructions under 'Troubleshooting'.

That just repeat the same instructions that didn't work the first time so how does it make a difference this time?
I've never needed such a book. I guess the ability to use what is available grows with experience. We didn't need no steenkin hand holding on the bleeding edge of technology. Quitcher winning

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Mr Bravo

Thank you for typing that on your keyboard.

I think it could start out as articles right here.

'The PIC Corner'.

Where I was going with this is I've realized there is no need for

sugar coated compilers with Basic in them and pre written config files or anything else.

It's just that Microchip Assembler and C need a little more explaining.

that well intentioned people at Microchip just don't have time for.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Those well intentioned people at Microchip have been doing a fine job for well over two decades. In the process they have acquired other fine people form companies they have acquired. It is only the whiners that have shown up recently with their desire to acquire the knowledge they seek in the shortest possible time with the minimal amount of effort. Not everybody is cut out for this activity and the more people who try the more convinced I become that some should find other avenues of expression besides embedded systems. You have if far easier than we did and still you complain.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Mr Bravo

Thank you again for clicking on Post Reply.

Okay. The idea is after having gone through some of this and maybe a little later

when I reach a certain level of proficiency.

I thought it would be useful to write a series of articles about getting started.

Helping the people that come down this trail after me.

The whole idea is it is doable. There is no reason to divert from learning Microchip C to a

a seemingly 'easier' system. I think there is a lot of 'fallout'. from ranks of potential PIC users.

We'll see.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
@PICNewbee Sure spend a couple of years writing and publishing a book(s). A noble and altruistic undertaking if ever there was one. Problem is that you have to put almost every thing else on hold while you do that. Go right ahead I'm sure you'll be drowning in riches and accolades when you are done. I know everyone on this site would be more than likely to buy your book through an approved channel rather than find a pirate download site or pdf from a scanner.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have occasionally found a book or two useful in doing something with PIC devices, but they tend to become obsolete incredibly fast. The eratta begin between the time the gallies are sent for printing and the first delivery truck leaves Amazon.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
'I'm sure you'll be drowning in riches and accolades'

'Gee whiz Mr Wilson! That's keen!':)

Oops! Forgot I'm just writing the articles and posting them on my website.

Will post link when there is enough there to make it worth reading

"found a book or two useful in doing something with PIC devices"

Yes. Thee are handy.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I would suggest that rather than distracting yourself with grandiose dreams of writing articles to educate PIC newbies, you concentrate instead on getting yourself past the "almost ready to blink an LED" stage. You've got a LONG way to go before you'll be in a position to educate anyone about anything significant.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
'I'm sure you'll be drowning in riches and accolades'

'Gee whiz Mr Wilson! That's keen!':)

Oops! Forgot I'm just writing the articles and posting them on my website.

Will post link when there is enough there to make it worth reading

"found a book or two useful in doing something with PIC devices"

Yes. Thee are handy.
Post again when your output exceeds Nigel's

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
'You've got a LONG way to go'

I beg to differ. It's tips about basically getting off to the RIGHT start.

That reminds me to make first chapter "WHERE to Start With PIC's".

Ixnay on posting link to my site here. Came to my senses about THAT!

Let me go think big thoughts.

Happy 4th of July!