New Old Threads?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I see necroposted threads pop up occasionally. Most often it's a new member spamming or preparing to spam by building an artificial post count. In these cases, I report them.

Others, like the one you linked are either newish members still working out their posting style, deranged in some way or believe that someone, someday will read their post and be enlightened by it. They're not necessarily wrong in that belief, just have reduced probability of being right.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I have seen more in the last months, to the point I am getting used to check the OP's date.

BTW, I feel that those posts done "just in case somebody lands here later" are useful. Data's date does not make it bad or good.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
@KJ6EAD That particular thread showed up as New BEFORE the new member added to it. There have been others. I am aware of necroposting and often report it. However, the situation I am referring to is NOT necroposting.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Are you suggesting the possibility that a portion of the site's database was missing for a time and was restored?

If such a thing happened, would a thread from 2012 appear suddenly as new?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you read this thread?
OLD POSTS - Updated Policy

The moderators get a sign when the thread is over a year old and gets replied.
The post will stay invisible until one of the moderators approves or moves the post to its own thread.
Also they have the possibility to delete the post.

Bertus

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes, I've read that thread. Thanks, @bertus. However, what I experienced (am experiencing) does not fit into any of those scenarios.

I navigate to "New Posts". I see a thread listed, which I click on. It appears that the thread is old. There are NO current posts. None. Nothing.

I return to the "New Posts" page, wondering how that happened. Scratching my head, I start a new thread to enquire.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The New Posts button will show only unread threads.
When you have not read all threads, they will appear when you use the New Posts button next time.
To clear the list, use the Mark All Forums read button.

Bertus

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
IMO there's no problem with necroposting at all as long as it's not a hijack cuz it helps ppl find info they're looking for by allowing conversation to be complete! So what if it spans long period of time?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I don't know. That is a logical scenario. I am just reporting the effects. @jrap ?
Hello,

Did you read this thread?
OLD POSTS - Updated Policy

The moderators get a sign when the thread is over a year old and gets replied.
The post will stay invisible until one of the moderators approves or moves the post to its own thread.
Also they have the possibility to delete the post.

Bertus
I think the people following the thread are notified of a new post on the thread (even if it is quite over a year) but since the new policy hides the new post on an old thread, we cannot see the new post. Somethings the post disappears because the mod moved the post to a new thread.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think what you are seeing is what bertus and GopherT described. Someone makes a post to a thread that has been dormant for a year. That results in that thread having a new post, which you get a notification for. But it also results in the new post being moderated, which means that you don't actually see the new post, just the old ones. Ideally that shouldn't happen -- the thread should behave to everyone as though no post was made until such time as the moderated post is approved. I don't know if that is a flaw in the basic software or if it is a configuration issue. But it's a valid annoyance that should be looked into -- and it's also one that is well outside the ability of the mods to do much about. @jrap can hopefully find time to explore it.