New format/Mobile devices

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Upon launch of the new site, I immediately found it's form and function lacking for me. So I switched back... I have every intention of switching over after some of the bugs had been worked out.

Today, I saw a thread about Arduino articles, which provided the following link:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/latest/arduino/

Let me start by saying that 99% of my activity is done on a SmartPhone.

I couldn't, without great difficulty, use the page nor read the article I wanted.

First, the banner took up approximately 25% of my screen. This made it impossible to view the article pictures, because they were so bug.

Second, I couldn't scroll down the page since the edge to edge pictures served as a link. When trying to scroll down to an article, I'd inevitably link to a previous article.

Third, when scrolling, the browser would display navigational headers and footers further limiting my viewing area to less than half of my screen. Impossible to view any embedded content.

Obviously (to me) the new format needs to address mobile users.

P.S. Orange is the new blue. I can deal with it generally!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Funny, as I think it was intended for mobile users. I try it occationally, but am still more comfortable with the old style.

I am not in the know on any of this, I'm finding out about it just like everyone else, trial and error.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Thanks @djsfantasi for the feedback.

Can I ask what phone you are using?

I'm going to begin testing having the menu bar disappear on mobile when you begin scrolling down (and re-appear only when you start scrolling up). That should open up some screen real estate.

Which navigational headers and footers are you referring to? The breadcrumb links at the top of each page? The footer shouldn't be interfering with viewable content, it should be at the bottom of the page. Was it obstructing content?

Thanks

Rob

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Good. I am using an iPhone. I was referring to the headers and footers from the phones browser, not the site. It was just that between the reduced content displayed by the site and mobile limitations, there was darn little to see.

I can't get any thread text on the mobile version and I can't find a way to switch to the full version on the mobile device,

At least as of a few days ago, it was slow as molasses and basically unusable.