New Flyer out.. Get in quick.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
and the UK where they like to say they are metric but still sell stakes by the pound, beer by pints and the speedometer of cars are still in miles-per-hour -
The metric currency is blessing I would think, they changed over just after I left there.
No shillings, sixpence, three pence, farthing, florin, crown, half-a-crown, Guinea, ETC. :confused:
Max.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The metric currency is blessing I would think, they changed over just after I left there.
No shillings, sixpence, three pence, farthing, florin, crown, half-crown, Guinea, ETC. :confused:
Max.
Money in decimal makes sense to me when you have to add, multiply and divide it so many different ways for so many different reasons.

Objects/masses/volumes sorted by half, quarter, eighth always made more sense to me than decimal. A full pie, a half pie, a quarter pie. Who wants to take the challenge to cut the pie into 10 pieces and make it metric. If you go to Europe and watch how things are packaged, the decimal system is really out the window. It is not practical. You can buy liter, half liter or quarter liter of milk (or almost any other beverage) - I think 1/3 liter (0.35 liter) is also common for canned soda. You cannot buy .9, .8, .7, .6, .3, .2 or .1 liter of milk.

What good does all that decimal argument get you? Nowhere. The imperial system is not so bad. Why not buy a quart, a pint, a half-pint. People don't think in units of 10s, they think on units of 2s (double or half).