New Flyer out.. Get in quick.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I personally liked the rotary nose-picking tool with multiple head replacements... one for each color of bugger available!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That's "booger".
The one you wrote is British for anal sex.
images.jpg

*breathing inwards* ... oh... THE HORROR!

And I was hoping that my spell checker would catch something as awful as that! No wonder mistakes in translation have been blamed for the start of the bloodiest of conflicts in the past.​

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I think it's called a, "Jesus" nut cuz that's what you say when trying to get it tight enough.
It holds a splined drive shaft to the wheel hub.
Axle nut.. That was my next guess.. Only 2 nuts on a car that really need the big toys... Either pinion nut or axle nut at the wheel bearing.
They can be a serious PITA.. I jam a screwdriver in the rotor to hold it from spinning and crank down on those suckers and use the 4ft breaker just to get them off..

The pinion nut w/crush sleeve is the worst..
I literally just picked up my Jeep from the shop 20 minutes ago (3.21 to 4.56 ring/pinion swap front/rear)..
First time I've ever paid anyone to install anything for me.. (I'm mcgyvr so it hurt a bit inside ;))
It was well worth the labor cost just to avoid busted knuckles/harbor freight 20 ton press work/swearing,etc...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have a 6 foot handle extension for my 3/4 inch socket set.
I found the place to press in the bearings.
I'm going to buy a torque wrench that goes over 200 ft-lbs.

The craziest part is that Ford says you can't stop when tightening the nut because the Ny-loc insert will deform and distort the torque readings.:eek:
I have never seen anything that will turn continuously for maybe 20 turns without stopping until it arrives at 200 ft-lbs.
So, instead of discarding the $18 nut every time I stop turning the wrench, I am going to bathe it in red Loctite and torque it down the usual way.
If a wheel falls off my car, we will all have learned that a nut tightened to over 200 ft-lbs can un-screw itself.:D
NFL (not f'n likely)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
:eek::eek: Are you insane??? :confused: Have you ever tried to remove something that's been bathed in red Loctite?
Yes. I had to cut a microphone jack off an amplifier chassis because I used red Loctite. That taught me to use blue on small stuff.
In this case, we're dealing with a 35mm nut that wants 203 ft-lbs of torque and I have a 3/4 inch drive socket wrench with a 6 foot extension for the handle.
Let's see...my 200 pounds on a 6 foot extension on a 30 inch handle
math math math
I think I can break red Loctite with 1500 lbs of force.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I remember buying some basic HF drill bits. I tried to use it on steel and it twisted. It was the first and only time I've seen the flute on a drill bit straighten out. I kept it for giggles for the other machine maintenance guys in the shop for a while. Methinks someone forgot to heat treat the bit.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yes. I had to cut a microphone jack off an amplifier chassis because I used red Loctite. That taught me to use blue on small stuff.
In this case, we're dealing with a 35mm nut that wants 203 ft-lbs of torque and I have a 3/4 inch drive socket wrench with a 6 foot extension for the handle.
Let's see...my 200 pounds on a 6 foot extension on a 30 inch handle
math math math
Yes, screw size is important. Last time I used red Loctite in a 1/4" bolt and tried to remove it afterwards, I ended up having to heat the darn thing with a small torch (the one used to make crème brûlée) to break the bond and avoid accidentally decapitating it.
I guess that a 35mm nut that was abundantly splashed with the thing could be removed (assuming you're no weakling) with an adequate extension without having to heat it.

And this time... I double checked the spelling of crème brûlée. I don't want to be corrected again by you telling me that's some sort of exotic Belgian jelly normally used for kinky stuff, or something of the kind :eek::D

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I remember buying some basic HF drill bits. I tried to use it on steel and it twisted. It was the first and only time I've seen the flute on a drill bit straighten out. .
Most certainly Chinese origin, I have seen these drill bits bend, and stay bent, under pressure, needless to say it should not happen with a quality bit.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Most certainly Chinese origin, I have seen these drill bits bend
So have I, although that was many years ago. The quality of most Chinese products has increased significantly since then.
I do believe those bits were designed to drill through pudding, or something with a similar shore hardness grade :confused:...

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
a 35mm nut that wants 203 ft-lbs of torque and I have a 3/4 inch drive socket wrench with a 6 foot extension for the handle.
Just hang a luggage scales on the end of the extension. 34lb pull on the scales x 6ft = 204lb.ft. Simple. :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You'll break something, but it may not be the Loctite. My boat's impeller gets locked on with Red. The threads are maybe 3/4". I have to remove it to overhaul the bearings. Without using the torch, I would definitely do some damage.