Networking topology Basics

JimmyCho

Joined Aug 1, 2020
Hello guys ; Im trying to understand the difference between two terms in networking and I hope to cooperate me guys to understand the logic
behind.

There's two terms are really confused me, private network and public network .. what's the major difference between them?

Private network is like a private company network.
Public network is like internet.

what's confused me what does that mean private company network .. isn't private company network is implicitly internet-if I connected to private company network then I can surf on internet - ? if so ..then private company network is also public network ..

Appreciated for good explanation to understand the implicitly meaning behind private network and public network.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello guys ; Im trying to understand the difference between two terms in networking and I hope to cooperate me guys to understand the logic
behind.

There's two terms are really confused me, private network and public network .. what's the major difference between them?

Private network is like a private company network.
Public network is like internet.

what's confused me what does that mean private company network .. isn't private company network is implicitly internet-if I connected to private company network then I can surf on internet - ? if so ..then private company network is also public network ..

Appreciated for good explanation to understand the implicitly meaning behind private network and public network.
I'm assuming you are referring to IP based networks.

A private network is what the name implies....the network is a privately owned and operated network. The network utilizes IP addresses in the private IP address range and managed by the private entity (company, home, etc.) . This range is non-routable over a public network (internet). Therefore, a device assigned a private address CANNOT "natively" communicate over the internet.
RFC 1918 describes private address ranges that can be used by anyone for assignment to private networks.

A public network implies that the network is accessible from the internet. The public network utilizes IP addresses that are managed by a global IP management service and are routable over the internet. Therefore, a device assigned a public address CAN communicate across the internet with other devices assigned a public address.

There is a standard that defines IP address classes and ranges but the document escapes me.

Devices on a private company network cannot access the internt directly because the devices are assigned private addresses. Therefore, it is a private network. However, the company can subscribe to an internet service. Doing so can allow the private devices to access internet resources, or permit internal devices to be accessed from the internet (at the companys' discretion).

Hope that helps...

Last edited: