Need to switch 2 dry contacts with one wired bell push

Scuppered

Joined Jan 1, 2017
Hi All,

I'm a bit stuck, and would appreciate a bit of guidance.

I have a wired bell push at my gate, which is currently wired up to a Siemens transmitter in a waterproof housing which rings a chime on a wireless receiver in the house.

I want to wire up another transmitter into the waterproof housing (a z wave transmitter that will tell my home automation setup that someone has rung the bell). Both the door bell transmitter and the z wave transmitter (a fibaro fgk101) have dry contacts, and I can wire the bell push to each of them individually and they work. However I want them both wired up at once!

I know I could probably do this with a double pole switch, but I want to use a 'normal' looking bell push, and I think most if not all of them are single pole?

I have tried various wiring combinations using bell wire between the three components, but none of the ways I have tried have worked. I assume at this point I need a relay powered by a battery to perform the switching for me. Am I right?

If so, what kind of relay would I need? Can I use one two channel relay? I've never used relays before. Sorry I have tried figuring this out for myself but have hit a wall.

As an aside, I know I could probably wire the z wave transmitter to the chime in the house rather than the bell push, but I want to avoid this!

Thanks in advance

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would just use a DPST momentary push button. Since you make no mention of location I can't suggest a vendor but that type switch is actually pretty common. I would think you could also find one in a water resistant enclosure if necessary. A Google of "dpst momentary push button switch" will bring up plenty of hits.

Ron

Scuppered

Joined Jan 1, 2017
I would just use a DPST momentary push button. Since you make no mention of location I can't suggest a vendor but that type switch is actually pretty common. I would think you could also find one in a water resistant enclosure if necessary. A Google of "dpst momentary push button switch" will bring up plenty of hits.

Ron
Thanks for the info Ron. I'm in the UK. However I do need to stick with using a traditional bell push, preferably the one that is in place now. I did consider modifying a spst to a dpst myself but if the bell push is ever vandalised I'd have to do it again.

Assuming I have to use a SPST bell push, what are my options?

Thanks

ClassOfZero

Joined Dec 28, 2016
DPDT relay, push button operates the relay coil, via a suitable power source, and each device is connected to a separate set of contacts on the relay.
Do you have a piccy of the button itself, maybe there's a way to get it to mechanically operate a second set of contacts ie: a micro switch.

As for vandals, maybe a high power laser with an integrated chav detector, I wouldn't worry about if they commit any acts of vandalism, just take them out anyways :D

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If you use the existing push button it could switch a small DPST relay and each set of relay contacts serve as the dry contacts for the transmitter. The problem with this is now you need relay power at the entry point. Since it would be momentary likely a 6 Volt AA battery pack with a small low current 5 or 6 volt relay coil.

We have plenty of members in GB who can likely suggest a vendor on your side of the pond. I am sure one of them will see this. I would just find a DPST push button, they really are pretty common. Less that solution small relay with a few sets of contacts. Batteries would likely last well over a year.

Before I forget again, a most happy new year and I hope 2017 is good to you! :)

Ron

Scuppered

Joined Jan 1, 2017
Thanks for the replies, and happy new year!

Good shout on the microswitch CoZ. I'll take a look in the daylight.

And I'll also look out for a nice dpst button that is weatherproof.

If I go for the relay method, does this look ok, hooked up to one of these?