Need to simulate an induction motor load #2

Azobe

Joined Sep 3, 2019
I find the whole exercise somewhat a little pointless, all relays and are typically chosen or selected to suit their respective loads, if you undersize a relay contact rating, especially for an inductive load, the life of the relay is going to be shortened, whatever the application?
No different for motor loads, this is why as I previously pointed out the use of Special Purpose for repeated inductive motor load switching.
It may be more enlightening to use undersized relays on a high inductive DC load and show the results that can occur when the selection is wrong?
Once those being demonstrated to observe a plasma arc that continues on a miss-selected relay to the point of melting the contact. The observer usually does not forget it.
Also an opportunity to get into Magnetic arc-blowout.
Much more enlightening!
Max.
Hi, apologies to bring up an old thread. However I have to undertake a similar project, and this approach is necessary because the induction motor load is going to be in the hundreds of kW, and the platform being made needs to be scale able, and the potential output power be managed instead of wasted into heat (i.e. being fed back into a system or battery). Thus instead of using giant motors, we need to simulate the load electrically such that we can manage the energy efficiently as well as control load parameters.

Mod:Created your own thread, link to old.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...ate-an-induction-motor-load.90383/post-656381

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
the induction motor load is going to be in the hundreds of kW
Can you clarify whether you want to make a real-world device which simulates the behaviour of the motor, or whether this is a theoretical/design exercise involving a simulation model? If the former, I would be concerned about safety aspects and I'm surprised you are relying on input from a bunch of unknowns on the Internet.

Azobe

Joined Sep 3, 2019
Welcome to AAC!

Can you clarify whether you want to make a real-world device which simulates the behaviour of the motor, or whether this is a theoretical/design exercise involving a simulation model? If the former, I would be concerned about safety aspects and I'm surprised you are relying on input from a bunch of unknowns on the Internet.
Thank You! I've been a long time user of aac's resources and I wouldn't class it amongst typical internet resources ( taking forum resources with a grain of salt however).

This is long term project for a real world device, and at its very beginnings, with many contributors. It will start with normal validation simulations etc. I am browsing the internet for food for thought in terms of high level ideas for execution. My reply was try and show maxheadroom that such an endeavor is not pointless, rather just needs to be justified. I am however still interested in continuing discussion about the theoretical best way to approach such a problem, at a high level.