Need to make Timer

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The 35WVDC is 35 volts DC, so it should have taken a car battery indefinately. Most caps like this have a strap to mark the negitive side, similar to what a battery would have. Like a battery, put it in backwards and the magic smoke escapes.

bcarriveau

Joined Oct 27, 2008
ok now that i loot into all this some more. the 555 trigger (2) will start the timing when it goes low(1/3 of +V8) im using this on my vehical and voltalge from the battery will fluxuate from 12-14. if im correct even the 33K resitor im using in the line for the trigger will not be enuf. is this true? Does this mean the 10 minute time is not going to work the same as it does with 9 volts? Sorry if it seems like im not understanding all this but i have really been doing alot of ready and just get confused.. Thanks.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The 555 doesn't care what the voltage is, as long as it is between 5V and 15V. It should work.

The 33KΩ off pin 2 is OK. If it isn't going off when the power is turned off (I'm assuming the schematic in post #13) then there is something wrong. This particular layout should start when power is applied, then turn off at timeout. You might want to increase the capacitance on pin 2 to a 10µF, but I don't think it is necessary.

Are you still having problems getting it to work?