Need to hold few ns time at the output of comparator

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
i know how to build the 2ns pulse amplifier but the 2ns propagation speed for a comparator sounds suspicious . . . with some kind of a "feed forward" (a positive! HF feedback) . . . perhaps

if your both inputs are varying - then such adds a complexity

also too weak input signal strength may add complexity

+ your input repetition rate may add complexity -- e.g. -- if the "input" occurs every 8ns up to every 8h

↑ the input range specifications are required here -- without no-one can provide you any valid advice ↑

Saravana Vilashini M

Joined Apr 16, 2020
if your both inputs are varying - then such adds a complexity
- Only one input of comparator are varying.

Please suggest me how to hold the output of comparator to 100ns when 2ns pulse occurs at the output.

Saravana Vilashini M

Joined Apr 16, 2020
Please post your circuit. (LT SPICE file)
Do you want the output delayed a few ns in time?
I have uploaded LTSpice file. I want the output to hold for few ns in time.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Last edited:

Saravana Vilashini M

Joined Apr 16, 2020
describe the role of your comparator (it's I/O) with respect to the rest of the system ...

Comparator Output is feeding to Arduino. Arduino can't handle 2ns for every 6ns so I want to hold the output of the comparator for at least 100ns.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Need to hold few ns time
I want to hold the output of the comparator for at least 100ns.
Finely; a few does not equal 100.
The comparator you are using has LVDS outputs and will not talk to a Arduino well. You need outputs that from 0 to 5V or 0 to 3V.
100nS is not long enough for a Arduino.
------------------
There are things you have not told us …… so here is my first try.
When those fast pulses happen the output goes low for 7uS.
Few comparators can do 3nS. I used a Schokey diode to peak detect the signal. Changed to a comparator that has 0-5V output. (sorry I should have removed the 10p C1 cap)
1587127838876.png

Attachments

Saravana Vilashini M

Joined Apr 16, 2020
Thank you. As I am new in building circuits. Sorry for asking basic questions.
-100nS is not long enough for a Arduino.
Arduino Uno has clock frequency 16MHz. When there is change in input it takes approximately 64 ns to respond. Is that not right? If 100ns is not sufficient Can't we make it to 500ns?
-When those fast pulses happen the goes low for 7uS.
I want the 2ns pulse to appear after 500ns or whatever time Arduino can handle. I don't want the output to go low for 7us. I first pulse 2ns hits the Arduino. The other pulse 2ns hits arduino after 6ns. So, every 2ns should be kept hold for few ns.(i.e) It has to wait for some processing time of Arduino

View attachment 204618In this circuit, Why this V2 and R1 are left unconnected?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
In this circuit, Why this V2 and R1 are left unconnected?
From your circuit.
When there is change in input it takes approximately 64 ns
You must be using an interrupt? How are you using the data? If you are poling the pin it will take a long time. Are you using a counter input?

I do not understand.
There are 4 pulses of 2nS. Total time is about 20nS. The Arduino can do nothing in this time.
Do you want the Arduino to see all 4 pulses?
I can make a circuit where the output goes high on the first pulse. The output will stay until the Arduino reads and resets the circuit back to low.

Saravana Vilashini M

Joined Apr 16, 2020
From your circuit.

You must be using an interrupt? How are you using the data? If you are poling the pin it will take a long time. Are you using a counter input?
Yes Iam feeding pulses into the interrupt pin of Arduino.

There are 4 pulses of 2nS. Total time is about 20nS. The Arduino can do nothing in this time.
Yes, Arduino can't do anything. So, only I want the Comparator output to hold for 100/500 ns for every 2ns pulses.

Do you want the Arduino to see all 4 pulses?
yes.

I can make a circuit where the output goes high on the first pulse. The output will stay until the Arduino reads and resets the circuit back to low.
Yes, it should happen for all the N pulses. Not only for first pulse.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
To delay pulses is very difficult in analog.
You can use a counter. Every pulse will increase the number in the counter.
The counter will have a "clock" input which connects to you 2nS pulses.
The counter will have 4 outputs that go the Arduino.
The counter has a "reset" input where the Arduino can reset it back to zero after a read.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
2ns pulse with period of 8ns = 125MHz
Houston we have a problem.
Arduino cannot count at 125MHz. Using interrupt is even worse.
You have to find another solution.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
How many pulses will there be?
Is there always 4 pulses or is the "125mhz" there for 1000s of pulses?
Where is the signal coming from?
What computer IC are you using in the Arduino? Many different parts.
-----edited------
Arduino Uno has clock frequency 16MHz. When there is change in input it takes approximately 64 ns to respond.
If you want to know how fast the response is. Make a loop: set pin high, set pin low, conditional branch, loop. Watch the pin with a scope. You can do nothing in 64nS.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I do not know the ATmega328 well.
You can use Counter/timer1 as a counter. I have not found how fast it can count but not the speed you want. (maybe 16mhz maybe twice that)

You can put a high speed counter on the outside and have it divide the frequency down. There are many ICs that will take 16 pulses and make one pulse. This divide by 16 idea is often used in frequency counters.
----edited-----
I found some information. The 16 bit counter/timer can count up to 8mhz in a 16mhz part. That is assuming a 50/50 duty cycle.

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
a bad* design example /// * -- the comparator is dependent on the LT1252 output level - the least is not specially fixed

Draft_mod_Dft-2cc.gif