Need source for tiny IR sensor lens cover

harpazo

Joined Sep 20, 2017
I have a proximity sensor that consists of and emitter and photo-transistor that are very small. The emitter and photo-transistor are in sockets and need lens covers over them. The lens covers are circular, approximately 5mm (outer diameter) and perhaps 1mm thick and are violet in color. I am having a tough time finding a source for lenses this small. I also gave thought to having them machined from a larger sheet of violet glass/plastic but would like to find the lens already made, if possible. Does anyone have any ideas on who might have such an item?

Thanks

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I have a proximity sensor that consists of and emitter and photo-transistor that are very small. The emitter and photo-transistor are in sockets and need lens covers over them. The lens covers are circular, approximately 5mm (outer diameter) and perhaps 1mm thick and are violet in color. I am having a tough time finding a source for lenses this small. I also gave thought to having them machined from a larger sheet of violet glass/plastic but would like to find the lens already made, if possible. Does anyone have any ideas on who might have such an item?

Thanks
I'd cut a bit of set top box front panel - but then I'm a habitual bodger.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'd try punching out bits of various scrap plastic sheet/bottles/packaging etc for use as filters/lenses. You'd probably find something that's transparent to the IR.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Maybe this will work.

black processed film (the black bit at the end of old negatives). This is the key element as unexposed (black) processed film is visually opaque but IR transparent.
https://www.diyphotography.net/take_infrared_pictures_with_digital_camera_ir_filter/

How to Make an IR Filter - DIY Photography Equipment
https://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/43805.aspx
IR photography opens a whole new world to photographers... that is, photographers who can afford the expensive lenses associated with it. However, there's a quick, cheap & easy way to make your own IR filter with spectacular results... and all you need is some film or a floppy disk. Here's how.

Film. This is the key ingredient to this whole deal. This needs to be unexposed and undeveloped, at least to start out with. Make sure that the film you use is large enough that, once developed, it will be large enough to cover the end of your lens. If you've truly gone all digital and don't have any film lying around, ask some friends, or suck it up and buy a whole roll from the store. You only need a single piece.