Need some help with buying a part!

newlitemotorist

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Hey guys.....just trying to put together a shift kit here and I need to locate a spacific pot ww resistor.

I am having trouble finding anything about this particular peice as it is from Yageo and it says 511 10w 11r J on the resistor itself. I need to find a replacment for this thing but I cannot seem to figure out what the 11r means. Some part numbers I have seen indicate that 11r simply means 11 ohms but why do other yageo resistors say x ohms on the side instead of (x)r???

If this is simply 11 ohms then that is great but thought I would run it past you guys first to make sure.

Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Parts in commercial devices are often made under contract to specific tolerances/specs. Numbers on them usually do not cross to the other products made by the company.

Your best bet is to measure the resistance of the rheostat (if it's 10 watts dissipation and wire-wound, it's a rheostat). 11 ohms is a bit odd, but 10 ohms might work, or even 15 - it depends on the application. Size may be the biggest factor.

newlitemotorist

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Parts in commercial devices are often made under contract to specific tolerances/specs. Numbers on them usually do not cross to the other products made by the company.

Your best bet is to measure the resistance of the rheostat (if it's 10 watts dissipation and wire-wound, it's a rheostat). 11 ohms is a bit odd, but 10 ohms might work, or even 15 - it depends on the application. Size may be the biggest factor.
Well, it isnt a rheostat unless pot resistors are also called that. The device I am making has several differnet kinds of pot resistors and the one at question is the only one that is not clrealy identified.

I guess i never thought of simply hooking it up and testing it. What would be the correct method of doing this? Hook it up to a 5 volt source or just touch each test probe to the oposite leads?

Thanks