Need some guidance with this PS4 motherboard pad repair

UsamaM

Joined Oct 31, 2018
Hi everyone.

While I was repairing my PS4 I unfortunately pulled the blu-ray drive connecter and there appears to be no copper. I'm very new to repairing motherboards and having someone else to repair it isn't possible. If anyone has any advice on how to fix this please let me know. Thank you!

IMG_20181031_192907.jpg IMG_20181031_192903.jpg

rarson

Joined Nov 1, 2018
That's a fairly simple repair. What it will involve is scraping off some of the masking to create new points to solder to. I'm fairly sure the two outside pads basically just function as an anchor to keep the connector in place, so I would probably use some epoxy to get those attached back to the board. The two inner pins are connected to ground; I'd check that little island bit in there to see if it still has ground and if so, that'll make it a little easier.

You're probably going to want to clean those ripped pads off the connector before putting it in place. Then I'd epoxy it. After it's solid, I would start scraping the mask, lay some solder down on the new "pads" you made, and run jumper wires from the pins to the new pads. It's easier to run jumper wires by starting at the pins you're trying to connect to and then going to the pads. One thing I've realized when running jumper wires on USB drives is that it's a good idea to leave yourself plenty of space between your scraped traces. Probably not that big a deal in this case, but when you're working with small traces it can alleviate some pain by spacing them out a bit.