Need Solar charge control circuit help. 12v Batt (Pb)

DJRCB

Joined Feb 2, 2015
Hi guys im new to the site :) i was hoping to find some help/advice.

im building a DIY portable speaker system. Im planing on adding a solar panel to charge the batt. and/or power the amp/devices. im looking to charge a 12v lead acid batt. (2.3ah) my amp circuit is aprox 6-7W max power output.

the solar panel im looking at is either:
1 - 12v 250ma 3W
2 - 12v 170ma SCC 5 w

i was thinking of using this circuit for my charging management. but im not sure if if should keep the circuit as is or modify? the circuit is designed for a 1A solar panel, mine will be a 1/4 of that. if anyone could recommend any changes (if needed) i would greatly appreciate it

cheers
Roy

SPEC: LT3652

1A Solar Panel Powered 3-Stage 12V Lead-Acid Fast/Float Charger; 1A Charger Fast Charges with CC/CV Characteristics Up to 14.4V; When Charge Current Falls to 0.1A Charger Switches to 13.5V Float Charge Mode; Charger Re-Initiates 14.4V Fast Charge Mode if Battery Voltage Falls Below 13.2V and Trickle Charges at 0.15A if Battery Voltage is Below 10V; 0°C to 45°C Battery Temperature Charging Range

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You may regret building a switcher which is feeding low-level audio circuit. If it were me, I'd be looking at a linear regulator shunt regulator. A shunt regulator wastes no power until the battery is fully charged. Here is a long-running thread on another forum dealing with a solar shunt regulator.

You need to check on a suitable panel. To charge a 12V SLA, you need a panel that puts out an open-circuit voltage of nearly 20V, 17V min. It should put its rated current into ~14V to properly charge the SLA.

DJRCB

Joined Feb 2, 2015
You may regret building a switcher which is feeding low-level audio circuit. If it were me, I'd be looking at a linear regulator shunt regulator. A shunt regulator wastes no power until the battery is fully charged. Here is a long-running thread on another forum dealing with a solar shunt regulator.

You need to check on a suitable panel. To charge a 12V SLA, you need a panel that puts out an open-circuit voltage of nearly 20V, 17V min. It should put its rated current into ~14V to properly charge the SLA.
specs on the solar panel
Output voltage: 12V - no load 27V
Output current short circuit: 170mA
Power: 5W

what is the worst case scenario of using this charge managment IC? could you give my a mock up of a solar shunt regulator for my needs?

thanks for the help.

Roy

DJRCB

Joined Feb 2, 2015
a 'charging circuit' in this case could be just a simple 1N4001 diode between panel and battery.
I need to design something more involved than a this :)

Already did.

Already did, and since this is a school project, what are you going to do?
What do mean?

Will the circuit that I provided work to charge a batt, If the panel provides much less than the max (1A I ) the design calls for?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
any current supplied to the battery with a higher voltage than the battery supplies will "charge" the battery.

the question becomes one of quantity. how many amp hours of current is taken from the battery vs how many amp hours of current is replaced by the charger?