Need opinions on functions vs price

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Okay then. How about some input from the dummies?

:)
As a dummy, I am guessing that not many people bought that scope for the original list price when it came out in 2011 or 2012 based on lack of reviews. It seems to have grown in popularity in the past months (year?) as the price dropped. Popularity may be an overstatement - there are only four reviews on amazon. None on most other sites that I could find.

I've never used a digital scope so I have no idea if 6000 counts is good enough to do what digital scopes to best. The people who did review it are happy with it. It is generally sold as an entry level scope so take the reviews with a grain of salt. Entry level means the reviews are not done by people with experience handling better scopes.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
- What makes this scope stand out to you?
- Do you need a hand held scope?
- Have you looked at other scopes, like Rigol??
- what are your scope needs??

Sorry to play 20 questions. It is your needs that drive the decision making process. You tell us about what you see in this scope, then our feedback might mean something.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Company profile.

About Hantek

Qingdao Hantek Electronic Co., Ltd. is a manufacturer of general instruments specializes in design, product, sale and service. It is an enterprise in national level with new and high technology who has passed the ISO9001:2008 international quality management system certification and ISO14001:2004 environmental management system certification. Hantek has several practical new type innovations, appearance design patent, and software copyright. The company is located in Whitman industrial city of Qingdao High-tech Industry Base with convenient traffic, good cultural environment and thick scientific research atmosphere. The comprehensive strength of Hantek has increased day by day after more than ten years operation and development, and the continuous innovation in science and technology. Hantek has built up an active fighting team and formed an excellent national instrument brand.

Hantek has a strong technical force. The research and development team is composed by the authoritative expert with advanced technology in instrument field. Rely on the technology of research and produce and many years of experience in instrument, combining the advanced management concept at home and abroad, Hantek has successively promoted the oscilloscope, Arb. Waveform Generator, Logic Analyzer, handheld oscilloscope, Frequency Analyzer, Multimeter, Handheld multifunction measuring instrument, Portable Oscilloscope, Programmable Power Supply and several series general instrument products. They have all received the recognition and reputation of the market especially in overseas market, and all the product has passed the CE and FCC certifications.

Hantek would inherit the good tradition of technological innovation, continuously promote new product to meet the need of market, create hopeful future with heavy responsibility and feedback the society with grateful attitude.

Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
As a dummy, I am guessing that not many people bought that scope for the original list price when it came out in 2011 or 2012 based on lack of reviews. It seems to have grown in popularity in the past months (year?) as the price dropped. Popularity may be an overstatement - there are only four reviews on amazon. None on most other sites that I could find.

I've never used a digital scope so I have no idea if 6000 counts is good enough to do what digital scopes to best. The people who did review it are happy with it. It is generally sold as an entry level scope so take the reviews with a grain of salt. Entry level means the reviews are not done by people with experience handling better scopes.

Also, If I had $500 to spend on a scope - I would buy the best used Tektronix or other name brand I could find for that price. Just the way I spend my money. Other people are not comfortable doing that.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Also, If I had $500 to spend on a scope - I would buy the best used Tektronix or other name brand I could find for that price. Just the way I spend my money. Other people are not comfortable doing that.
Stellar advise. For $500 you can buy ten time the scope in a used Tektronix or LeCroy. Both of the scopes on my bench are over 25 years old. (Tekronix 2245 and a LeCroy 9354.)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
It was the price of new
and it's 60MHz bandwidth.

I'm not put off by Chinese manf. I took the gamble on some high end Polk Audio design studio monitor copies and DAMN they were worth every penny. Some very good stuff being made over there but the trash to treasure ratio is the big unknown.

I'll take the gamble and write a review for us.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Just for fun, here is the history of the scopes that I have owned from 1970 to the present. (These are not the real photos.)

Here is my first scope. It was a Christmas present from my father. I was about 15-16 years old. He built it.

About the age of 22, I bought and built one of these.

I became a repairman for a big Music Store in Northwest Florida and needed a portable scope.

Everyone has to own one of these. They are great in the winter, keeps the shop warm.

My first real scope. (Purchased Used in 1979) Stolen in 1988.

When the 465 got stolen I got this. Didn't like it, sold to a friend

The 454 just was not for me. I bought a used 2445 in 1995 and I still have it. Works great.

I had the need, the need for speed...and digital. Bought used in 2005, still on my bench today.

This 2430 sits on the shelf as a reminder that one should not drink beer and shop EBay.

There you have it. Sorry if I put you to sleep. It was fun for me though.

Attachments

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Looks freaking nice. Plus it has FFT function, very very cool. A lot of scope for the money. You will have to give us a product evaluation after you have played..er..used it for a while.:)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I would look at the Rigol DS1054Z scope and it is a great scope for the price .. Wish I kept mine but my Tek 2215 with work just as well..